Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions pertaining to the afore mentioned subject? I would also like to know which one of these two Winchesters is the most ubiquitous. I've seen a few Trails End rifles in my neck of the woods but I don't recall ever seeing a Legacy. Then again, I haven't been to a Cowboy shoot yet. Please spare me from the obvious; i.e., the Trails End has a shorter bbl so it'll handle better in the woods or similar yada yada. I'm looking for the finer points that only come to bear through hours of handling experience. Unfortunately, I can't find a gunstore where I'm located that has a Legacy I can actually handle. The jerks that run gunshops out here want to sell you what they have in stock or they want you out of their shops... very good business sense indeed.

I own a Pre-64 M94 30-30 Carbine so I guess I'm pretty much already familiar with the Trails End... yes? I can really do without the saddle ring though... especially if it rattles on the receiver. The main reason I like the Legacy and Trails End is the dove-tailed front sight directly into the bbl which I'll quickly replace with a Lyman 17A. I put a 17A on top of my Carbine's ramp and it ended up too darn high.

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a 45 Colt Legacy that is more fun than the law allows. I bought it for the long barrel and pistol grip that I prefer.

I practiced hard at the steel plates at 100 yards offhand ( 8"x8") to impress my shooting buddy. The first time we shot it together he equalled me shot for shot. The next weekend he showed up with the same legacy I have. We have gone through a ton of lead and 8lbs of powder since and he is one shot up on me for now. I load all the ammo.

The longer barrel really enhances the accuracy for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Bigfoot,
Does the 1/2 pistol grip aid in preventing rifle cant more than it adds to a bulkier feel... assuming it actually does add to a bulkier feel than the ol' straight carbine stock. How's the feel of the curved lever loop? Does it lock securely in place against the bottom tang?

After you convince me to go with the Legacy I hope I can find one in .44 (I may even take a .357) in the Escondido, CA area for a reasonable price.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I don't know if I can speak for you but my hands and forearms are big and thick. Can't grip a straight grip comfortably. The lever fits well enough and has room for my oversized fingers. In my opinion it very definetely does help lock it in straight.

I bought it to shoot and it does that well. The 45 Colt can be loaded to nearly any level you want. We shoot 255gr fn at 1100fps mostly, remember it is a 24" barrel so velocities will be up. Also use 325 gr fngc at 1400 fps. Neither is near maximum but the heavier load packs a punch.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,140 Posts
I've handled the Legacy at a store, and it retained the "willowy" feel of the straight grip to me. It didn't feel at all chunky. I own a Marlin 336A, and it feels like a truck compared to the Winchester.
I did NOT like the rear sight at all; if I bought one of these I'd definitely have to change out the rear sight. The front, dovetailed sight was OK.

That's all I can offer! IDShooter

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own both the Trails End and the Legacy. The Legacy in 45 Colt is my favorite. Fun to shoot and reload for. The Legacy with it's longer barrel just feels better to me. Looks nicer too.
I load it with 255 gr casts I pour and lube myself. Off bags with a Lyman Reciever sight and a lyman 17A front sight. i can time after time put all shots into one ragged hole at 500 or 100 yds. with my hunting load in 300 gr Horn. XP Mag I have used it to kill both deer and a blk bear. ALL shots complete passthrus.
but to get back to your original ?... when I want a rifle to go plinking with or decide I want to use a lever to hunt with on any given day I reach for the Legacy not that I don't like the TE but I love the Legacy

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input...
Have you all noticed what Winchester has "undone" to the '94 for '03?

Now that the safety is on the tang, I suppose it would be a criminal offense in CA to remove the saftey and install a tang sight. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to learn from Winchester's website whether the new '94s are D&T'd for receiver sights... so I ordered a catalog.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
100 Posts
Forty Four,
The Winchesters use the scope mounting threaded holes on top of the receiver for the Williams receiver sights.
Jeff

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JRR...

The mounting holes are on top of the receiver?? You mean a receiver sight is now mounted on the receiver ring of a M94... over the bbl threads? If so, that's way too far forward.

Used to be a receiver sight mounted on the left side and bridged over the bolt just in front of the hammer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There are two threaded holes, side by side on the rear of the receiver, straddling the bolt. The Williams 5D and the FP peep sights mount there, not on the side.
Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts