Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about putting some remaining powder and shot to use and load a few rounds. On factory loads, when you shake it, there's no 'jiggle' in the shell - presumably due to the filler that they pack between the balls. I wasn't planning on putting any filler on my rounds. Would I experience a penalty in accuracy because of it?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You'll get more damage to the balls from setback on ignition, and from rubbing each other and the barrel going down the bore. The buffer cushions and supports the balls so they don't smash together so bad, and they take on a more fluid dynamic while going through the bore, and particularly the choke. Works for "bird sized" shot too. I shoot with and without, and at the rages where buckshot is effective on big game, you aren't losing a lot without the buffer. I will say I prefer it, but I can get by without.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I cast my own 00buckshot and I use the buffer . I get a good patteren. Just to let you know if you cast your own you will need to roll them that way you will get no sharp edges. If you do not you pattern will be all over the place . I try it in a 410 with out rolling them . The buckshot was all over . Then I roll them I have a set pattern. At 20yds I get a 7 inch spread and 15yds it is 5inch spread.That is with 4 00buckshot. I try it with one only at 20 yrds about it was 3 inches off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I loaded 12 gauge magnum rounds with 00 Buck for a long time. I never used any kind of buffer or filler and never noted any irregular patterns.

Depending on the case, I could load 9 or 12 pellets in each round and I tested the rounds extensively. At the time, I shot at garbage dumps and experimented with 00 buck penetration of everything from toasters to car bodies to plywood and refrigerators. Those rounds have my profound respect!

Flash

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I was thinking about putting some remaining powder and shot to use and load a few rounds. On factory loads, when you shake it, there's no 'jiggle' in the shell - presumably due to the filler that they pack between the balls. I wasn't planning on putting any filler on my rounds. Would I experience a penalty in accuracy because of it?
Buffer/Filler usually makes a difference. How much is a matter of buckshot quality, and wad construction, and how much velocity you want.

I have had good luck with 4B/1B/00B in Winchester wads, but the extra plastic does take up some room. It is usually a wash, in that, even an 8 pellet 00 may put more buck in a space, going faster, than 9 pellets. Same with 1 buck. In 20 Ga. loads, it can make quite a big difference.

If I was loading for home defence, buffer would be irrelevant. For hunting, the extra expense is worth it.

·
RIP Me. Gates
2,429 Posts
Interesting indeed! There always has been problems loading big buckshot in layers of three! Using some of BPI LBC (Limited Bore Contact) wads and loading big buckshot in stacks of two instead of stacks of three makes all the difference in patterns...even with super tight chokes.
All buffer is not the same indeed! The best of all is the Precison Reloading teflon PRPSB22. It is tiny round balls.
Speaking of the buckshot alone....the harder the better, whether you cast them or buy them. The best we have found come from BPI.
The slower the powder yhe better.....Alliant Blue Dot or Steel.
Never use tapered hulls....the best are Fiocchi, Federal, or Cheddite.
Rergards, James

·
RIP Me. Gates
2,429 Posts
As an after-thought, I have added an attachment of the BPI LBC (50mm) with a two stack of #1 BPI hard buckshot.
It is not the number of buckshot in the hull, but rather how many buckshot the load puts in a 10" kill zone at 40 yards!
This #1 buck setup allows very tight chokes to be used and not deform the buckshot.
The Dixie #1 Buck Special is a take off off a special order load Winchester/Western once shipped exclusive to South Carolina. The original load has be improved upon with a better wad, better buffer, and extra hard buckshot. The Cheddite hull (from Graf & Sons) is ideal!
Dixe does not offer this load across the board and is a costly load to make.
However the reloader can put together their own loads. The velocity is 1150'/" in 26" barrels.
Regards, James

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts