Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hand load the mighty 50/90 now. I love it.

I just got all my "stuff" for the 357 Mag handloading.

It is for a totally rebuilt 1865 Rolling Block No 1 newly chambered in 357 Magnum/38 Special.

I want one handload for taking white tail deer. Big ones.

I want another for general shooting / medium ranges, I want it a flat shooter though, for target and for smaller game.

I want one for ultra light, very quiet, playing around target shooting to 50 yards, night shooting.

I intend to use the BearTooth 185 Grain Flat Metplat cast bullet with Gas Check, over H110 Powder, about 13.5 grains.

I have 158 grain Hornady FP/XTP, maybe, for the second application. I assume I can use the H110 for that too? Is this a good place to start or do you have better recommendations?

What about the third application? Do I need to go to loading 38 specials too or can I use the 357 Mag dies and brass and just find the bullets and powder loadings for an ultra light load? I would prefer that as I do not want to get more "stuff".

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
I would just load a full wadcutter and about 3 grains of Bullseye in .357 brass for the plinking load. Should be pretty quiet.

You might have to adjust that a bit if you get leading.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 grains! wow. I don't have loading manuals with me. But what FPS speeds do you think that would yield?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,219 Posts
Out'n yer riffle, about 850-900 I'd say.

RJ

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I want one handload for taking white tail deer. Big ones.

I intend to use the BearTooth 185 Grain Flat Metplat cast bullet with Gas Check, over H110 Powder, about 13.5 grains.
I'd reconsider that loading level of H110 with our 358"-185gFNGC bullet in the .357 Magnum! It borders upon being in the dangerous underload range for H110/W296. I'd recommend starting not lower than 14.6 grains in this load, and for best uniformity employ Winchester WSPP as spark plugs.

For years, my pet load with this bullet in the .357 Mag, has been:

BTB .358"-185gFNGC/16.0g H110/WSPP/Rem or Starline Brass

The load gives 1860 fps out of a 20" Rossi M92 Carbine, and is superb Venison Venom! (For the little Rossi however, it shoots it's best with .359" bullets)

Have a great weekend.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Reviewing my load data per the #1 purpose, I am using 15.2 gr. of WW296 with the 185 gr. Beartooth bullet, and a Federal Small Pistol Magnum primer (which was what I had at the time I first worked up the load).

It is superbly accurate out of my New Model Blackhawk.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy Cow --- 1860 FPS with that 185 Grainer Flat Face!

That will be smacker for sure.

I deeply appreciate the notice about too low of a powder loading of that 110. Thank you!

yes I have the small pistol magnum primers for 'spark plugs' !

and that 850 fps speed for the ultra low 3 grainer load sounds purrrfect! I have a 16 inch barrel, btw.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well, You can load the 3 five seven down to that level. But, .38 brass is plentiful and cheap(ER), so that is the logical choice. If you pick up any manual you'll find a good load. If you get a Lyman manual, it will have a reduced .357 load for a cast bullet.

The standard, old police load, was a 158 SWC at about 850. That is pretty archaic now. But, it would be easily reproduced. A HBWC is about 725 out of a revolver. IT would be about 8-900 (I'm assuming), maybe even 1,000 out of your rifle, and sound like a .22. At least they did in my .357 lever gun.

I've heard that a rifle gives about a 50% increase in fps over pistol loads...I tend to believe more in the area of 25%. Buffalo Bore says that you can buy 180s at 1,400, so 1,800 isn't to far out of place. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

If you look towrds the bottom...they claim 1850 out of an 18.5" rifle w/their load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did 3 loads too.

148gr HBWC with W231 in 38 Spl cases.

140gr Hornady FTX with Power Pistol in mag cases. I interpolated between the 125gr and 158gr Power Pistol load data.

158gr JHP with H110 in mag cases. 158gr were the most accurate in my S&W mdl 19. These display much less recoil than my H110/210gr/41 mag loads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts