Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for everyone. I'm currently working for a company that's developed a handloading software that we'll be promoting shortly (this is not an ad btw) and before we do I'd like to ask you, what do you look for when you buy a program like this? What features do you like or wish you had? The more advice the better, thanks!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, it would let me enter the bullet type, bullet weight, power type, amount of powder charge and then give me the velocity, drop and distance plot to target. Also pressure warnings would be good. Barrel length and other rifle factors should be entered. The results saved and different loads can then be compaired. Also various loads from different manuals can be called up for reference.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I have a question for everyone. I'm currently working for a company that's developed a handloading software that we'll be promoting shortly (this is not an ad btw) and before we do I'd like to ask you, what do you look for when you buy a program like this? What features do you like or wish you had? The more advice the better, thanks!
Weapon type: i.e. loaded for bolt rifle or gas gun, revolver or auto. This would include safe pressure/load data about the different weapons. To be specific, I watched someone try a rather warm bolt action round in an M1A, cost him a new bolt.
caliber
Bullet type (specific model # per maker) and cast bullets from RN to WC to SWC
Various Powder loads for that cartridge
estimate of velocity depending on different barrel lengths

Want me to go on?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
Have you looked at Quickload?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have found Quickload has a very handy feature that can be used for gas guns. You can set the barrel length at the measurement to the port and get an idea of port pressure, thus suitability of the burn rate.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,293 Posts
I have and since most of it is based for bolt rifles, it's dangerous for gas guns. Got a case head even when I was loading less by their standards.
This is an unfortunate problem of anything software based. QL runs calculations based upon bomb testing, and info provided by Eurenco. With Eurenco powders QL does VERY well, it seems they tell him anything he wants. Beyond that is where things get problematic. Particularly with General Dynamics and especially with their spherical powders. They REALLY struggle to accurately describe the newer generation of progressive propellants. This is because of limited testing using only the Bombs. Bomb testing is great for a general burning rate idea, but doesn't really begin to describe how the powder behaves in practical applications.

Moving to gas guns, being able to get a feeling for pressures in the system can really be a problem. Especially when not much info is given to how the gas system was designed to operate.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
This is an unfortunate problem of anything software based. QL runs calculations based upon bomb testing, and info provided by Eurenco. With Eurenco powders QL does VERY well, it seems they tell him anything he wants. Beyond that is where things get problematic. Particularly with General Dynamics and especially with their spherical powders. They REALLY struggle to accurately describe the newer generation of progressive propellants. This is because of limited testing using only the Bombs. Bomb testing is great for a general burning rate idea, but doesn't really begin to describe how the powder behaves in practical applications.

Moving to gas guns, being able to get a feeling for pressures in the system can really be a problem. Especially when not much info is given to how the gas system was designed to operate.
I know thanks. But I did decide to try it in the M1 and M14 gas systems. Even backing off for safeties sake.. still got C/Hs. So I went back to the old way of just testing pressure and then dialing in the loads, I really have a lot of ammo testing to finish this year.

Right now working on something for Sierra.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,293 Posts
Right now working on something for Sierra.

Cool, let us know what you come up with!
Are you running the stock gas regulator?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
You mean on the M1? M14 stuff I use my own tricks that have worked well since the late 70s. I got a lot of my M14 info from a lead engineer at TRW Ord and he did work on the M14 program, before he went off and designed the LMR (M16 replacement which didn't happen).

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
PS next week it's all hybrid bullets. It's "interesting".. but I have to move away from Fed 210M primers to get a more realistic pressure read on the loads. Only thing I don't like about the 210Ms, is they're a bit softer and can flatten when it's not a real pressure read out.

I was doing initial pressure tests with the new Sierra's and Berger's. I'm going to Winchester for the meantime, since I have them and just need a more accurate read. Then I'll start doing the grouping tests (10 rounds). Have to test them in M14 types including an M21, and 2 7.62 Garands.

I really want to finish up 4064 and move to 3 generations of 4895 (IMR).

·
Banned
379 Posts
Whether or not it runs on a Mac.

Windows only software need not apply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts