Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

Since starting casting for my Marlin .444 ive been thinking of trying hard cast in my .308 for hunting... I have been most impressd with the Lee 310 mold and the resulting bullets it produces.

Im sure in the past i've asked about this subject but i put it on the back burner whilst working on other projects, now i find my self looking again at my options.

The Lyman 173 gn FNGC and RCBS 180 gn FNGC are the top contenders so far with the RCBS in the lead, due to excellant lube grooves and it would appear to have the larger meplat of the two ?

Although im considering getting the Lee 150 gn FNGC, 180 gn SPGC or 200 gn SPGC just to keep costs down to start with, my Lee 310 mold makes good bullets why should there .30 be different ??

I've been thinking about water quenching what ever bullet i go with and then heating the nose to soften them in a water bath......... to get soft point with harder body........

Would welcome any input on this subject..

Englander

·
Banned
555 Posts
Englander, Hello. Soft nosed bullets are very do-able.
Look in the Tips and comments forum here, Page 4, 5'th thread down, you will find the article Marshall wrote up on this very subject. Good luck. Halfbreed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts