Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 17 Posts

· Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A hard cast 38 wadcutter loaded to around 1200 fps in a .357 mag should perform great on small to medium game out to 50 yards or so, right ? Have any of you ever tried it? Many years ago, I think I loaded some hollow base waddcutters upside down, but I don't recall ever shooting anything with them. Probably has limited penitration, which is fine for ground hogs or smaller, I suppose. What are your thoughts on this?

· Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TMam said:
Most LWC's are designed to upset and take the lands at about 700 +/- fps. I inherited three 500 bullet boxes of Speer WC's at one time. They were made to go bang over a couple of grains of bullseye or red dot. I found that upper end loads tumbled badly, and recovering a couple from very soft wet earth, I noticed that rifling marks were gone on one side of the bullet. The lead was definately still in the barrel.

I suppose you could cast them hard, but the advantage in that case would go to a conventional SWC, i.e. why bother.
imashooter2 has it right. Meplat is everything, as long as you have the momentum to drive it through your target at reasonable velocity. Also, there is a huge difference between soft swaged lead wadcutters, and hard cast wadcutters.

· Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quote from Old Jim:

" Marshall has used .357 hard cast bullets with .280 to .300 meplats for deer sized game with excellent results."
end quote

Old Jim,
Can you tell me where to find .357 cast bullets with a meplat of .300? There are no bullets listed in the Beartooth catalog with a meplat larger than .280. I ordered a mold from NEI thinking it was going to have a meplat of around .300 from the drawing in the catalog, but alas the cherry had apparently been rounded off and the mold produces bullets that looks a lot like the Keith 358429, with a slight rounding of the ogive right at the tip, which make the meplat smaller. It's still a good bullet, but I was hoping from the larger meplat. You can see what I'm talking about if you go the the NEI catalog and look at the 166 gr 358 bullet. (assuming the website is still up) On a note related to the thread topic, I did find molds listed for full weight - full wadcutter bullets. I think they are H&G designs, now sold by Ballistacast (sp?)

Regards,

1 - 3 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.