Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the empties come out of my new Ruger 454 hard. I am not loaded maximum and have used 6 different powders and they all extract hard. The empties are dirty on the front third to half. I full length resize them in RCBS 454 dies and crimp with Redding Profile crimper. I noticed that the inside of the cylinder is rough and appears to have lines. Ruger says they will look at it if I send the whole gun, I have never had a problem like this before. Is there something that I am not seeing here that could be causing the problem. Any help appreciated.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Roger,

Although I don't know about the 454, I had a Ruger SBH with the same problem and just had the cylinder chambers polished out some. If the gun is new, and there aren't any decent 'smiths by you, it might be best to return it to Ruger for a look.

FWIW

·
Registered
131 Posts
MR. KRAMER, IF YOUR USING ANY OF THE SLOW BALL POWDERS, W296/H110/A#9 THESE POWDERS WONT BURN WELL IN THE 454 UNTIL YOU GET UP AROUND TOP END LOADS, THATS WHY ALOT OF THE DATA SHOWS AND SAYS NO FURTHER REDUCTION. NO DOUBT THAT YOU MAY HAVE ROUGH CHAMBERS BUT AFTER A FEW ROUNDS IN EACH HOLE THE SOOT WILL START TO CAKE UP AND GIVE STICKY EXTRACTION. IF YOU WANT FULL HOUSE LOADS USING W296/H110 ONLY, WORK UP TO 32 GR. AND YOUR PROBLEM WILL DEMINISH ALOT. THE A#9 WILL TAKE REDUCTION BETTER THEN THE ABOVE POWDERS, ALTHOUGH I WOULD SKIP IT FOR TOP LOADS. ANOTHER THAT SHOOTS WELL IN THE 454 IS H4227 YOU CAN GET DOWN TO MID RANGE OR BUMP IT UP A LITTLE FOR ABOUT 80%. THE LOADS POSTED ABOVE ARE FOR 300GR LBTs ONLY, AND USING W296/H110. JIM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 44 blackhawk that had rough chambers. I took a doll rod, sliced it lengthwise a bit longer than the chamber  and put enough soft rag in it to fit snug in the chamber. Then I used some oil and 400 metal polish to burnish it out. I then used a little fitz. Of course too smooth aint good either, just get the tool marks out

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Mr. Kramer,

It sounds as though you have chambers that might be a tad rough, and in need of polishing, or a return trip to Ruger.  

But, before scuttling the ship, consider this.   You mention that the cases are black and sooty and that you aren't running a max load.   As Jim has said, once the chambers get sooty, they can make extraction hard.

Here's my test.  Use some carbaurater cleaner on your chambers to remove every last trace of the carbon deposited.  Then run some full throttle loads through the gun and see what happens.   The loads you are now shooting aren't even high enough pressure to expand the brass to the chamber walls, evidenced by the fact that they are sooty.  Shoot some loads that have the pressures required to expand the brass, and seal the mouth of the chamber... bet your problem goes away.

If it doesn't cure the problem, then off to Ruger it should go!

Hope it helps!  Let us know!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleaned the chambers with the carb cleaner and a bore brush. Purchased a box of Winchester 250 gr HP in 454 and found that there were two of the chambers that wouldn't let a factory round all the way in unless they were pushed the last bit by hand and then they wouldn't come out without the ejector being pushed. I will either send it back to Ruger or send it down to Mr. Clements to take care of.  I have changed my powders and intend to try some H4227 to see if I can get rid of the soot.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Let us know what happens with your chambers!

I'll bet Ruger will make them right for you!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts