Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not use 5.5% antimony, touch of arsenic hard cast bullet lead for patched TARGET balls for a muzzleloader?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Target

Why do you specify use as for target? Is that "target as opposed to hunting"? It'd be interesting to do a comparison over ten shots with both pure lead rbs and hard alloy rbs. They would be harder to load in any case, unless undersized a tad.
Pete

·
Super Moderator
13,679 Posts
GWP,

I think difficulty of loading is the main obstacle. Pure lead yields, hard does not. You might end up having to use a slightly smaller ball and two patches? I would doubt that could be good for accuracy?

Note that in your original post there is an "Edit" button. You can click on that and put in a P.S. rather than answer your own post. It makes it easier to read and saves the board bandwidth, which is appreciated as we have, in the past, run out near the end of the month and had to shut down for several days.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A ML will shoot the hard lead. I have used magnum lead shot to make bullets. The problem I had was loading the bullets. I had to drive them down the barrel. Also I had to clean the gun after every shot with out fail. The groups suffered if it was not cleaned well enough. Also the hard lead bullets shot to the left of the soft lead.
I found that paper patching soft lead bullets in barrels of the right twist was the best answer for the accuracy I was looking for. Ron

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have shot wheel weight ball before and it shot well. They were harder to load, and I had to change my patch. I then found that they shot a little different then pure lead. But I do not like to shoot them. I will stick with pure lead. Also if they work the bore at all, they can cause leading.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the Edit button. I guess I was not thinking that the rifling engaged the round ball that much, more the patch. I have a lot of both, so pure lead it will be. I really do not enjoy lead fouling!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts