Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a model 58 Topper. Will a barrel from a model 158 Topper fit on it? Outwardly at least the two look near identical. I'm in contact with someone online who has 3 barrels they are looking to sell. A 20 Gauge, 22 REM JET & 30-30. Now personally I'm only really interested in the 30-30 but he wants to sell them as a set & won't split them up. Whether or not I make an offer & how high I bargain with him will depend entirely upon whether the barrels actually fit my Model 58.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I have a model 58 Topper. Will a barrel from a model 158 Topper fit on it? Outwardly at least the two look near identical. I'm in contact with someone online who has 3 barrels they are looking to sell. A 20 Gauge, 22 REM JET & 30-30. Now personally I'm only really interested in the 30-30 but he wants to sell them as a set & won't split them up. Whether or not I make an offer & how high I bargain with him will depend entirely upon whether the barrels actually fit my Model 58.
I also have a H&R Model 58 "Topper" single barrel shotgun in .410. I was wondering the same about using a barrel from a 158 model. My late Cousin had a 158 Topper in .30-30 & .22 Remington Jet, and I believe he had a 20 gauge barrel also. I don't know about using a barrel chambered for the .30-30 but the .22 Jet might work okay. Might want to consult a Gunsmith to be certain, and also the 158 barrel might require a different forearm.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Barrels on the H&R single shots, even if they are the same Model number can't be interchanged like a TC. They have to be checked for headspace & fitted by a gunsmith, if needed. If a barrel has to be fitted, the expense may not be worth it. You must make changes to the barrel fitment only, if needed, as modifying the receiver will render your existing barrel useless. Sometimes a barrel will interchange without any fitting, but that is a random event & can only be determine by trying it & checking headspace. Caliber should not matter, as the receivers were all the same. I would make sure they fit without any mods being required before I purchased them.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The diameter of the shotgun's firing pin is much larger than the rifle's. Primer issues are a problem when using a rifle barrel on a shotgun frame.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Later H&R (NEF) called their shotgun specific actions SB1 and rifles SB2. So obviously there is a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts