Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend at work about this last night. He mentioned would it be enough for a deer. I told him at close range (no more than maybe 25 yards) and I would use good hollow point ammo too. I told him that lots of people use .357 Magnum but, there's better ammo and bullets available for handloading. .357 is faster too.

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
Not intentionally....and that makes a difference.

When it's all you got...they you arrange things for a "win" or you don't shoot. Poachers have been using seriously under powered rifles for 100's of years and getting their game because they evened the odds.

If you have a choice, better to use something that is not situationally limited.
--------

Old tale...but illustrative.

Sitting in the back yard..contry place...with a buddy with CCP (concelad carry permit...and I dobut the old guy took a crap without a pistol near at hand).

Heard a bang-band from about 1/4 mile away.

10 min. pass.

Up his driveway and crossing about 11-13 yards in front of us was a 150 pound hog.

He drwas a 38 Colt Agent, leads the running hog, and triggers 3 shots.

Dead hog...had a few bird shot stuck in it (from the "bang-bang") but nothing serious,

Would I say a 2"snubnosed .38 makes a hog-killer?...nope.

Did it work in this situation....yep.

Could I geta.38 snub to do it again...yep,if I could arrange that kind of range.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If using a 9mm handgun is legal in your area, if you are a good hunter and a fantastic marksman, and if you use the appropriate bullet and load combination then feel free to hunt whatever you feel you can kill cleanly and humanely. I am too conservative to think that the 124 grain bullet at 1110 fps is an adequate round to hunt deer. A black powder rifle in 36 caliber has been used to take deer for a long time in this country - even before it was a country - and it has about the same ballistics out at 100 yards. I am a decent marksman but I couldn't sneak up on deaf, blind deer with a cold to get close enough to use a 9mm. I have performed one shot kills on deer with my 357 but it was pure chance that a deer wanted to commit suicide by walking within the 60 or so yards for me to take a shot. I don't even carry a 9mm for self defense. I don't trust the round to do the job. (yes, I know that police and military use 9mm around the globe) I guess I'm old fasioned and tied into the whole "one shot stop" theory of self defense and hunting. That's just me with my limitations. Feel free to take advantage of your skills and your gun, whatever it might be.

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
With the terrible record of the 9mm on humans, I have more respect for the deer. I've shot broken down, car-hit deer with everything from 22LR to 35 Whelen, but it I'd never subject a healthy deer to such a light weight round.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, there are 9mm's and then there are 9mm's,...probably close to a couple dozen different offerings in 9mm,... but, I will assume you are referring to the 9x19mm parabellum. As stated above, poachers have been taking deer with small calibers, aka the 22LR rimfire cartridge, for a VERY, VERY, long time!

As, also stated above,... when in need, and when the opportunity rises, USE WHAT YA GOT!!

But, your friend better know what he is doing, if that is his choice!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,416 Posts
A friend has shot a few in his yard with a 9mm..... but our runt deer in central Texas aren't exactly 'deer-zilla.' Marginal on them, is putting it mildly.

Would suggest 'supersizing' his deer hunting handgun......

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
I'm not for it, but as already been shown, in certain circumstances it would absolutely work. I'd use a hard cast, heavy load.

Some might find it interesting to read about the well known Alaskan guide who used his 9mm to protect his clients being charged by a grizzly. He killed it graveyard dead with hardcast ammo from BB.

If interested, I'm pretty sure that BB has the incident documented on their site now. Fairly recent occurrence, within the last year I believe.

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
Same old guy...in in n90's when he did it,passed at 93 in 2006..

Bet me he dould get a deer with a cinder block.

Wasn't really legal...but he's dead they can't get to him now....but it did it.

tyrtee stand...cheater cinder block block loadced with crap for weight...took him a season and a half...but a he barined it.

Those old WWII were tough.

So sit me out there for log enough and I'll eventally pass on several,but take one with a .22LR...or a 9mm...or a sharpstick….it'sj ust going to take time to get one that seems like a "win".

·
Registered
79 Posts
There has arisen a cult of 9mm worship that seems to thing it is the equal of both the 357 Magnum and the venerable 45 ACP. Some of us refuse to bow down at that particular alter, remembering when it wasn't so all powerful or universally admired.

As said above, you can take a deer with a 22 LR if your careful enough and get lucky. Doesn't make it a good idea and neither is 9mm.

Dave

·
Registered
692 Posts
I forget what movie it was but Joe Pesci is walking along in a suit and tie with a couple of hunters with high-powered rifles talking business and Joe is stumbling along. A deer pops up next to him and he pulls a snub nose .38 from his shoulder holster and plugs the deer. DRT. If it's good enough for Joe Pesci, it's good enough for me --- and a 9mm has a little more power. My father-in-law shot a few deer with .22LR in the 50's. Head shots. Personally, I wouldn't hunt with less than a .44 Special.

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
Movies are the worst reference material I can think of. Many of the very stupid beliefs about guns come from movies. It started with the 27 shot six shooter.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Movies are the worst reference material I can think of. Many of the very stupid beliefs about guns come from movies. It started with the 27 shot six shooter.
Sarcasm can be lost in translation when using posts. If I believed in movies, I'd think good always wins out.

Reactions: shooter444

·
36,416 Posts
I should point out that I have finished off two deer with a snub-nosed .357 mag. It worked fine.... 125gr. bullets at around 1,200fps.... which is just about the same velocity that a 9mm will give that bullet weight, in a 4 or 5 inch barrel.

Both bullets went through the neck of the deer, and were found in the dirt on the other side. Range was measured in a few feet. Result was as expected.

So yeah.... can it work? "Kinda" been there, done that. Hungry enough, I'd start with the 9mm-ish ballistics, instead of ending with them.

Beyond powder-burn ranges, it just isn't too impressive.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I should point out that I have finished off two deer with a snub-nosed .357 mag. It worked fine.... 125gr. bullets at around 1,200fps.... which is just about the same velocity that a 9mm will give that bullet weight, in a 4 or 5 inch barrel.

Both bullets went through the neck of the deer, and were found in the dirt on the other side. Range was measured in a few feet. Result was as expected.

So yeah.... can it work? "Kinda" been there, done that. Hungry enough, I'd start with the 9mm-ish ballistics, instead of ending with them.

Beyond powder-burn ranges, it just isn't too impressive.
I dont know what the numbers would show but Id say 357 and 9 mm are quite a ways apart..

My son took a nice doe some yrs ago w/ 357and 158 gr handload at about 60 yrds. Ran in a circle and dropped about where he shot it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I shot a 100 lb hog through the shoulders with 9mm ball ammo at 35 yards a d got full penetration and a dead hog. The 9mm downing high power was all I had at the time so it was utilized. I’m certain it could take a deer if the shooter does his part. Obviously, it is not the weapon of choice for deer hunting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Some might find it interesting to read about the well known Alaskan guide who used his 9mm to protect his clients being charged by a grizzly. He killed it graveyard dead with hardcast ammo from BB.

If interested, I'm pretty sure that BB has the incident documented on their site now. Fairly recent occurrence, within the last year I believe.
If its all you have, its better than nothing, but no sane person would recommend it.
The event that Tnhunter is talking about happened back in 2016 I believe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to carry a 9mm to finish off deer when hunting in NY, but never took it as a primary firearm for hunting deer.
I've taken my 45acp out several times and have taken several deer with it.

·
36,416 Posts
I dont know what the numbers would show but Id say 357 and 9 mm are quite a ways apart..

My son took a nice doe some yrs ago w/ 357and 158 gr handload at about 60 yrds. Ran in a circle and dropped about where he shot it.
Actually they are pretty close - with a 2" snubby .357 (which is what I was using) and comparing that to a 4" or 5" 9mm. The 125gr. .357 ammo I had (Cor-Bon) chrono'd just over 1,200fps in one of my snubbies, and just under that in the other.

I've shot a few deer with a full sized revolver in .357 and yeah no comparison to that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's been a long time since I fired factory ammo from my 357's but the LabRadar shows just barely under 1600 fps with the 140 grain bullets. My 9mm shows 1110 fps with a 124 grain bullet. Both are full size guns, the 357's are 6" and the 9mm is 4.6" barrel. Paul Harrell did a test between the two and the 357 in a snubby was still a lot faster than a full size 9mm. 125 vs 124 grain bullets. There is less difference between a 380 and 9mm than there is between a 9mm and a 357.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts