Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be cool to try to make a copy of an ancient sword from bronze, like the Greeks used during the bronze age. Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

How would you melt the copper and tin? The melting point of copper is around 1300 degrees, probably much hotter than my lead pot will go.

Sand cast it first and finish it with a polishing wheel?

·
Registered
34 Posts
you can use a blower fan off a old ac unit blowing over a charcoal pit to get the heat you need. next you will need a crucible large enough to hold the metal you are casting and a means to pour into the sand mold. you can get some fire brick to make a small enclosure to help contain your heat.
ive been around bronze casting for sculptures back in college. its not hard just Hot! Check out the local artist guilds in your area they may have someone already set up to cast bronze for sculptures etc... I know back in college the sculpture classes had to perform lost wax process casting to complete course. they cast with alum. So did the engineering department- I remember my brother, a mech engineer, had to make a bench grinder stand by lost wax casting. then had to machine all the parts and put it together. it was a neat way to learn the process!

You may be able to get some scrap bronze from your local machine shops that service heavy industry. a lot of pumps have bronze bearings and seals that have to be made by machining so they have the damaged ones they pull from the pumps. Then its just a matter of melting it down and making the pour. be carefull!
the sand was mixed with a type of molasses mixture to make it hold its shape if I remember correctly--been a while since I was in school.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Not really shooting sports related. Sorry guys. Now if you'd just wanted to cast bronze bullets. . .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.