Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking at the data for it, it looks very similiar to Hodgdon's Titegroup.  It is supposed to be a flake powder instead of ball.

I'm wondering if it would be worth picking up a pound and running some head-to-head tests against Titegroup.

God Bless,
Mark in GA

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread because I know folks are using this powder now. Is it as clean as Alliant's website claims? I thinking about it for 45ACP vs. Clays (I hear that's super-clean) and Unique (for versatility in other cartridges at the same time). I see that Unique now claims to be cleaner-burning.

So, who has experience they want to share? Is American Select super-clean? Is it as versatile as Unique such that a person could use it in, say, 30-30 as well? Any cleanliness comparisons between the three? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I have been using American Select with .45 Colt reloads in my '92 Winchester and Colt SA clones for almost two years. For this purpose, it works very well and is as clean as advertised. Alliant recommends American Select be used for shotshell and a wide range of CAS applications. It seems especially friendly to all the cowboy handgun cartridges as well as .45 ACP. Some cartridges, including 30-30 Winchester, have either not been tested or possibly not recommended for use with American Select according to my Alliant reloading brochure. The consistency is large round flakes which meters much the same as Unique in powder measures. If you reload .38 to .40+ handgun cartridges, it would be worth giving American Select a try.

As for the newer, cleaner burning Unique, in my experience it is definitely cleaner burning and does not stain the brass nearly as much as the older version. Unique has a broad range of uses and is always stocked on my reloading bench.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thank you for sharing that, Marshal. My desire to try a wide variety of things quickly outstrips my budgetary limits :) , so that's very helpful. A neighbor gave me a little Unique to try (older container), and it looks very versatile for my cartridges. I think I may try the American Select next purchase, though.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
AmSel is just a titch faster than Green Dot. In most applications you can use Green Dot data for Amsel, until you get close to maximums. Years ago, I tested some pre-release AmSel in a wide variety of handgun cartridges (but not reduced rifle loads) and found it to be a very useful powder. This was before Alliant published handgun data, and they actually used some of mine.

I still have some of that original pound, but only because I have so many handgun powders on my shelf that the hardest part of my reloading is picking which powder to use THIS time! But in my load notes, I see that I made mention of AmSel measuring well, or at least better than most flake powders, and being extremely clean-burning.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
As for the newer, cleaner burning Unique, in my experience it is definitely cleaner burning and does not stain the brass nearly as much as the older version. Unique has a broad range of uses and is always stocked on my reloading bench.
What else can you say, but it's one of the powders I buy in the larger containers sizes.

All powders "drift" a bit over the years, but the improvements in Unique didn't seem to have any measurable effect on velocity or pressures, in my 9mm/.38/.357/.44/.45 loads. I use it mainly with cast bullets for mid range performance loads, so if you like to get that last fps out of a load, you might see a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts