Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two shotguns, one is a single shot 12ga smooth bore 28" barrel un-choked and the other is an Ithaca Model 37 16ga 28" full choke barrel with 2-3/4" chamber. I mostly use the 12ga for deer in lower MI and the 16ga for upland bird and waterfowl. If I was thinking of getting a third shotgun, what would you suggest? I'm obviously not asking for personal protection suggestions, I am only interested in adding another hunting shotgun to the mix. Something better suited for turkey? Rabbit and squirrel?

·
Registered
65 Posts

I would suggest a .410.
People underrate them, but I reckon
they get the job done just got to be
a bit closer.
It's called stalking, should be fun on turks.
Work up a load to suit your needs and have a go.
I'm starting to work up some in brass shells.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Your 16 gauge Ithaca suits the turkey, rabbit, squirrel requirement quite well & the 12gauge slug gun fits your deer hunting. Seems to me a shotgun better suited to upland birds is the niche that needs filled. How about a nice 20 gauge SxS choked IC & Mod?? Or, sell what you have & get a 12 gauge pump with screw in chokes & a rifled slug barrel & do everything with one gun.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have 2 suggestions.

12 ga Semi Auto with choke tubes. Good for pretty much everything at that point.

20 ga Semi Auto with choke tubes. Really nice for everything, but maybe a little light for turkey. 16 ga should work fine for turkey.

I tend to like 1100's and and 11-87's, but many manufactures make good ones.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a very old .410 single shot. 4 shot or 6 shot is very effective for critter control. Rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
East of the Mississippi shotgun set-up

Like Joel I would go with a 870 express, I bought my 20 gauge combo set used for 300. and then added another barrel when I found one on sale for 125.
Ammunition selection is better for 12 but there's a good number of 20 gauge loads available for every use these days. I don't see any difference in the field between the two other than the 12 kicks way harder with magnum loads.
So it came with a 26" vent rib with choke tubes, 21" rifled barrel with sights and I added a 18" vent rib with choke tubes. Also bought the Remington super full extended choke tube, sling swivels and scope.
Barrels change in seconds and scope comes off in minutes, this might be the most versatile one gun set up there is with a deer barrel, upland game and home defense barrels.

Get this one and buy the other barrels as needed, there were over twenty 870 20 gauges on Gunbroker today.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859097156
Here's mine ready to go for the turkey season here in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you get the cantilever scope mount rifled barrel, the scope stays with the barrel when you switch them out. Never need to re-zero.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
If you get the cantilever scope mount rifled barrel, the scope stays with the barrel when you switch them out. Never need to re-zero.
Those are welded on to slug barrels only, for turkey hunting they need to mount to the receiver. I like the idea of having a scope on a rifled slug barrel but they're expensive, 300. just for the barrel and you would still need the saddle receiver mount for turkey hunting and it would need to be removed for deer hunting.
I'm not crazy about having to re-zero a shotgun with slugs either, even the 20gauge ones kick not to mention the expense. Luckily I don't go back to the midwest to hunt every year where it's necessary.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was speaking to the OP, as he said he uses his 12 for deer in lower Michigan. One can get a used 870 with a rifled cantilever scope mount barrel & add the shotgun barrels of choice for a very reasonable amount. Never heard of paying $300 for a Rem barrel in my part of the country. One can buy a Ruger rifle in one of the newly legal straight wall rounds for under $400, so why pay $300 for a barrel? Can't hardly sell a rifled shotgun barrel these days in my area. If fact, with the new straight wall cartridge regs the rifle barreled shotguns are selling pretty cheap now-a-days. The new shotgun sabot rounds shoot as good as any straight wall, IMHO. From an economic standpoint the "combo" shotguns have never been more attractive where I live. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Can I reply or are you speaking to the op specifically? Normally people send private messages or copy the original post when wanting to communicate in such a way.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I have two shotguns, one is a single shot 12ga smooth bore 28" barrel un-choked and the other is an Ithaca Model 37 16ga 28" full choke barrel with 2-3/4" chamber. I mostly use the 12ga for deer in lower MI and the 16ga for upland bird and waterfowl. If I was thinking of getting a third shotgun, what would you suggest? I'm obviously not asking for personal protection suggestions, I am only interested in adding another hunting shotgun to the mix. Something better suited for turkey? Rabbit and squirrel?
Here's the original post, he asked about a turkey rabbit and squirrel gun, I thought it interesting to chime in on the versatility of the 20 gauge 870 even though the op didn't seek information about a deer or personal protection gun, just to add some information for the general forum readers.

As to the availability of extra barrels locally you live there and would know if there's bargains available on the used market in LGS if the methods are changing to favor a different gun.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have no idea why you are trying to start an argument. I just added some info about an option the OP might consider. That info is in no way contradictory nor critical of your comments, nor was it intended to be. If you read the OP's post you will also see he uses the 12 gauge for deer. Am I not allowed to make a suggestion related to that??? You need to back off the sensitivity level a bit & relax. Seems no one can say anything on this site that you can't find fault with. Sorry if I failed to follow your protocol on how to post. I thought you could understand English. You will hear no more from me on this subject.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
Settle down, HH. Slug barrels with scope mounts on them are as rare as rocking horse turds where I live, and in fact I don't think I've ever seen one for sale at all, in close to 30 years. So, not everyone has the option of running down to the gunstore and digging through a pile of them, for cheap. And some folks might want to buy their shooting stuff new, anyway.

I wouldn't want one if they were free. Just no need where I live.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I have no idea why you are trying to start an argument. I just added some info about an option the OP might consider. That info is in no way contradictory nor critical of your comments, nor was it intended to be. If you read the OP's post you will also see he uses the 12 gauge for deer. Am I not allowed to make a suggestion related to that??? You need to back off the sensitivity level a bit & relax. Seems no one can say anything on this site that you can't find fault with. Sorry if I failed to follow your protocol on how to post. I thought you could understand English. You will here no more from me on this subject.
Sorry, didn't mean to come across that way, we both misunderstood, apparently. I do not consider your comments invalid or pointless, it was insightful to hear about how the market is changing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, interesting question the OP posed. In his case, I suppose the logical response would be to get a .410, and they don't get much love and could use a little thrown their way. Interesting for turkey, great for snakes and squirrels... I would be inclined to ask if he reloads, or cares to though, because .410 is one shotgun caliber that you can REALLY save money on by reloading. And making brass .410 shells is fun!

Then there's the 20 gauge. I just love my Winchester 1200 20 gauge pump for dove and quail. For me, it seems like the perfect match.

I wish I could find one of the mentioned "cheap and easy" rifled slug barrels for my Winchester model 1300 12 gauge!

Have fun,
Vettepilot

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Well, interesting question the OP posed. In his case, I suppose the logical response would be to get a .410, and they don't get much love and could use a little thrown their way. Interesting for turkey, great for snakes and squirrels... I would be inclined to ask if he reloads, or cares to though, because .410 is one shotgun caliber that you can REALLY save money on by reloading. And making brass .410 shells is fun!

Then there's the 20 gauge. I just love my Winchester 1200 20 gauge pump for dove and quail. For me, it seems like the perfect match.

I wish I could find one of the mentioned "cheap and easy" rifled slug barrels for my Winchester model 1300 12 gauge!

Have fun,
Vettepilot
My natural inclination was towards a 410 or even 28 gauge as well but with turkey hunting in the request I ruled it out, not only that but have you seen the ridiculous prices on used 870 express 410's? You might as well buy a new one, some of the used ones are actually priced higher than retail on gunbroker, I don't understand why but it's frustrating if your looking for one like I am.
Beat up used 410's on gunbroker start at 425 and are selling for around 500. New ones 600., that's the cheap express models, craziness.
Some of the standard wingmaster 410's are priced at Browning Citori prices, don't know who would pay 1300. for new Remington pump shotgun someone must be.

This one looks pretty good but it's 200. two much IMO.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857612283

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love my 20 ga Beretta Silver Pigeon over under...shot a ton of quall, pheasant and chukar with it and a number of turkeys. I load 1 oz of #7s and it really whacks that upland game. Its so light and pointy, I only use my 12 on sandhill cranes, geese and ducks. Plus its a nice looking shotgun and very smooth. I have an extra set of Beretta full and skeet chokes so I can mix, match or use the same chokes for turkey or skeet if I think I need to. Walking up on upland game with dogs I usually use IC in the first barrel and modified in the second.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts