Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all -

I've tried, unsuccesfully, to slug the bore and cylinders of my Redhawk (WITH CYLINDER REMOVED!!!) with .457 egg sinkers on 4 separate attempts.  In every instance, I get deformation in the tip to mid-section area.  I decided to purchase and use some .454 Speer Round Balls instead (worked great!) However, I do not own a micrometer nor does anyone I know own a micrometer.  I have contacted all of the general and specialized tool vendors in my area and NO ONE sells micrometers!!

Is someone in BTB land willing to measure these buggers if I send them postage paid??

Sincerely,

Slugged in Portland.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,350 Posts
You betcha... my micrometer goes to 0.0005" (five ten-thousands).  Some people may have micrometers that go to 0.0001" (one ten-thousandth), although I'm not sure that the additional level of precision tells you anything.

Only two caveats:  First, I'm going out of town for a couple of days.  So I'll check back Sunday night or Monday and if in the meantime you get another offer, won't hurt my feelings if you go ahead and take it just to speed up the process.

Oh and the other... if you are planning on buying bullets from Marshall you might think about sending them to him instead.  That way you'll cut out the middleman, so to speak, and there's less chance of error when you get your bullets.

I'll check back in a few days... if you haven't made arrangements by then, I'll give you the mailing information.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Alan,

Not a problem, you have my address. Midway, MidSouth, et al, carry calipers and I would strongly suggest getting a set ASAP. They're an invaluable tool for the handloader.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morning Bill -

I do have dial calipers but I do not have a micrometer.  The only use I see for a micrometer at this point is to measure bullet and slug diameters?

·
36,350 Posts
Alan, the dial caliper will do just fine if it's a quality steel caliper and not a plastic one.  Make sure the jaws are clean and it's zeroed out.  More important is the skill of the operator, things like using the same amount of force to close the jaws each time (not much!) and ensuring that you're holding the slug square so you get the true diameter, etc.  Without the right techniques the micrometer won't do you any better.

The precision of the caliper is 0.001"... right?

You'll be ordering bullets sized to the nearest 0.001", or at best, 0.0005".  So that level of precision in your measurement is fine.

Go ahead and measure the slugs and post the numbers that you come up with.  As a cross-reference, you can measure some jacketed bullets and see if you get the same measurements as what's printed on the box.   They don't always match, but should be within 0.0005" or so.

Anyway a micrometer is a useful tool and I wouldn't be without one, but for your purposes the dial caliper will be a good start.

·
36,350 Posts
Alan, did you get your slugs measured OK?

You're welcome to send them to me, whether you measured them with calipers or no.  Let me know.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Morning Mike -

Sorry for not posting earlier.  I used a .001 dial caliper to measure the slugs and the groove diameter slugs measured .4515 and the throat slugs measured just a whisker under .452.

And....thank you for offering to measure the slugs!

Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts