Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks;
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I wanted to see if anyone has updated information. This concerns shipping to a private residence.
I've been looking at the smokeless powders and primers on the internet. After talking to a cousin of mine, I've become concerned about the ability to ship and receive these items.
My cousin told me he was informed that only four pounds of powder could be shipped to an individual at one time. This would make 8 lb. containers impossible to ship.
I know about Hazmat fees and such but I had not heard of such a low quantity limit before. There are special container regulations and labeling requirements. Black powder has it's own regulations.
I had looked online in the past and read that you could have something like 50 lbs. shipped. Today I was reading that if you make an order and had previous knowledge that the shipment was illegal you could be held liable for the offense as well.
I'm trying to keep my nose clean and out of trouble so if anyone knows the FACTS (no opinions please as I don't need to get into a problem here) I would greatly appreciate the knowledge shared.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
In short...you can't unless you are a certified HazMat shipper. You can become certified, but it is not an easy process. My first wife is a certified HazMat shipper and had to keep her certification active by attending classes (now can be done online). The information is out there if you take the time to research it.

I listed some model rocket engines on eBay a year or so ago and had several bids and when I started looking into shipping regulations took down my listing as I learned I could not legally ship them without permission and certification. I decided to sell them locally through one of Model Clubs.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you buy smokeless powder from a retailer online they can ship up to 50 pounds in one box as long as it is shipped in original manufacturers containers.
If you want to ship powder to a friend or customer then you have to ship it through UPS or FedEx in factory container and follow the shippers policies.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,505 Posts
To ship powder UPS to a friend you need to go to the nearest UPS hub so they can "inspect" the contents and that it is properly padded before the box is sealed.

RJ

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The extra gfee for hjazmat is a rip off. I guess UPS etc considr it insurance.

Ever hear of a shipment of powder causing a fire. Remember smokeless is NOT explosive.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The extra gfee for hjazmat is a rip off. I guess UPS etc considr it insurance.

Ever hear of a shipment of powder causing a fire. Remember smokeless is NOT explosive.
It may not be "explosive" but... open up an 8 pound jug and toss a match in... see what happens.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Cant afford that anymore. I guess you havent priced powder lately.
Back around 1985, I ordered a one pound container of powder from a dealer in Tn. I paid the price of the powder + $5 handling charge along with regular shipping. This Haz-Mat charge is unfair IMHO, and with the price of powder today along with shipping, Haz-Mat it will raise the price of a pound of powder upwards to $80 per pound!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have been attempting to ship 4 boxes of 22 Magnum ammo from AZ to AL. After two trips to different FedEX hubs and many phone calls, I have been told that in order to ship small arms ammo I must take and pass a course in shipping hazardous materials. Cost $150. Not worth it for a few boxes of ammo.

I know it's not supposed to be this difficult to ship small arms ammo, but that's the information I have received. I been unable to find a local FFL dealer to ship for me. After many miles of travel and time on the phone, I quit.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
UPS will ship ammo "ground" at no additional charge (less than 66 lbs.). It must contain this symbol (4"X4") in at least one conspicuous place. It can only be sent from a UPS Customer hub (one of their shipping centers). UPS stores will not accept. If you have a UPS account, they will also pick it up with the UPS label.

Good luck and all the best.

Ammo Label.jpeg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts