Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carbine that is short chambered the bolt is sooo close to closing and yet won't close on the go gauge...I bought the rifle used so I am SOL on sending it back for warranty work...
I noticed the locking surfaces on the bolt and lugs and receiver had been polished WTF????
I don't understand polishing the bolt and locking areas of the reciever when the problem was and STILL is a short chamber....
Since the .30 carbine head spaces on the cartridge mouth and I have enough foreward play on the bolt to compensate for the short chamber by trimming the brass back a bit...I am tempted to give it a try....
So what do you think? buy a reamer and straighten out the mess, or just trim the brass back until cartridges chamber with out binding the bolt...

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
If the chamber is too short, it makes the most sense to buy/rent the reamer and fix it so you can shoot factory or surplus ammo. Anything less and you're stuck having to trim and handload everything that goes into it, which would be a pain for a gun meant to fire lots of rounds through it. If it was a big-game cartridge, where you only fired a limited number of rounds at a time, I'd say maybe just trim the brass, since you want something that fits your chamber, anyway. For a 30 carbine, ream out the chamber to the right size.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Since you mentioned it looked like someone polished the locking lugs I would also check these with a new bolt or factory specs if available. If you needed to replace the bolt then everything could be taken care of at one time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys...I am going to straighten out the mess by reaming the chamber to the proper depth...I't doesn't look as if there was much if any metal removed during the idiot polishing, though I'll check the bolt against an unmonkey'd one just to make sure...

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Sounds like your good to go. Hope you enjoy your new toy. My dad got one forty five years ago when surplus ammo was like $1.50 for a 50 round box. Sure had fun with that rifle. Wasn't much good for anything but making noise pulling the trigger. State considers it to small for deer and its too big for gophers although it might be interesting on prairie dogs!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Have a gunsmith check it

Peter, in the back of Larry Ruth's and Scott Duff's book, The M1 Carbine OWNER'S GUIDE, in the section called Tips and Tricks, is this paragraph:

Chrome Lined Barrels
There exists a number of after market Carbine barrels with chrome lined bores that have short chambers. These cannot have their chambers corrected without the probability of ruining an expensive chamber reamer. Carbines fitted with these barrels usually have bolt face or the rear of the lugs ground away until a cartridge would fit in the chamber. Do not fire one of these mutilated carbines.
[end quote]

Unknown if that's what you have, of course, but I respect Ruth and Duff and think they should be taken seriously. Excellent book, by the way, with much interesting information. I found it very useful.

The Old Guy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks TOG!
Not chrome lined, Polished but not to a point where they'd have to be scrapped. I've had it out to the range several time since recutting the chamber, I was a bit concerned about short brass life, Cases were trimed to the correct length, and I'm getting about one to two thousandsth of a inch lengthening of the cases between firings. Not too bad!

FWIW,
Recutting a chamber is not something I'd recommend the average joe undertake, I spent several years as an armorer. So I had an idea of what I was getting into when I undertook the project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.