Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
130 Posts
Howdy Id shooter, The best way I can say to avoid The health risk of casting is.
1. never ever use battery lead.
2. keep your casting shop organized. by that keep all lead and skimmings in sealed metal containers and labeled.
3. good ventilation, two windows in your shop with your casting equipment near one of them and a fan at the other pulling in fresh air and blowing towards other window. a vent type range hood over your pot is also another cheap invention to help exhaust fumes.
4. wash your hands and face well after casting, and I even shower after a long casting session due to lead dust on my clothes.
5. no eatin or drinkin while in your casting shop.
6. buy a thermometer, no need at all to go over 800f. and certainally not above 900f.
7. no young ones allowed near casting area or soon to be mothers. PERIOD.
8. I usually keep approx 1000 casted bullets in my loading room which is in the house and I keep lead objects in sealed zip lock bags and put out of reach for my daughter. just a precaution not to get any lead vapors in the house although my loading room is upstairs and not used for any living space except for guest room which joins it.
9. I limit my casting sessions to 3 hrs or less and take a break every hour or so to step outside of building and get a drink or fresh air.
10.use common sense, and keep anything that has the symbol h2o out of the molten alloy or you will realize just how fast you can really move if your not already burnt badly.
11. think safety always.
12. enjoy your new past time hobby in which is very rewarding to you and shootin buddies.
hope this helps you some. I would also reccomend gettin a copy of lymans book on casting very informative to procedures and safety tips. as well as marshalls book on gettin the performance.     have a nice day.  JIM.

· Banned
130 Posts
CONGRATS JACK, THE THERMOMETER WILL HELP TO TWEAK THE TEMPS FOR YOUR INDIVIDUAL TECHNIQUES. WHEN YOU GET ONE YOU WILL PROBABLY BE SUPRIZED TO THINK OF WHAT SOME OF TEMPS WERE BEFORE YOU GOT ONE. WITH THE LARGER DIAMETER BULLETS YOU WILL FIND GOOD BULLETS AT TEMPS LOWER THAN YOU MAY HAVE THOUGHT.  KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR RESULTS AT THE RANGE.        JIM.
PS. DONT FORGET THE SAFETY EQUIPMENT WHEN CASTING.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.