Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Beartooth Regular
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
     I was looking at the Lyman web sight and there is a disclaimer-type announcement on there that casting bullets exposes you and those around you to airborne lead. So far I've just shot commercially cast bullets but I've toyed with the idea of casting and this bothers me a bit. I have a young son and want to protect his health as well as mine. Living in North Idaho we are constantly reminded of lead because the EPA continually tries to list us as a superfund sight due to mine tailings. (Another issue!) Anyway, it seems to me that handling lead bullets is easier to deal with because you wash your hands etc. But is there a good way to reduce/prevent exposure when casting? How much is too much? Almost all the bullet casters I know around here are old guys and a lot have health problems, but who knows what they are from? Am I just worrying about nothing? I would appreciate any knowledgeable responses. Thanks!!
:confused:    ID

· Beartooth Regular
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Jack, that wheelweights joke reminds me of one of the guys I know! I don't think he has stooped so low as to steal them yet, but he is forever walking around parking lots and auto shops looking like he dropped a quarter!  Thanks again, ID

· Beartooth Regular
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jack,
     Congratulations on a successful maiden voyage! Let us know how those bullets shoot. And thanks for the wheelweight tip; I know of quite a few crossings that get used a lot by logging trucks.  HHHHMMMMMM.......:biggrin:
                                              ID

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.