Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please share your opinion/experience with heavy 45 Colt/454 Casull cast bullets and your favorite load for hunting (Whitetails and black bears). I shoot a 454 Ruger SRH 7 1/2"bbl and want to cast a bullet in the 350-400 grain range but don't know where to obtain moulds other than NEI which has outdated info on their website. I would prefer an LBT style, if possible to find.

Has anyone sized .457/.458 bullets from a rifle mould down to .452 for 45Colt/454Casull? If so, are there any lube grooves left?

Is load data for the heavy loads that scarce or am I just looking in the wrong places?

And lastly, what is the largest practicable bullet for the 454?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a couple ballisti-cast moulds and they are excellent. Have you looked at the Lee 310 gr FNGC ? The quality is not as high as the others but for $ 20.00 you can try a decent bullet design. I use them in a 454 Cassull BFR. They sure penetrate when hardened.

·
Registered
176 Posts
my favorite .45 colt bullet of all time is the rcbs 300 grian semi wad cutter it shoots great in all my .45 colts and kills very well

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
454shooter
You don't have to go that heavy-300-325gr bullets will do the job nicely. Unless your shooting super deer/Bears? I'm quite sure that a 300gr going say 1600 fps will penatrate a good sized blacky end to end!! Deer as well.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
My favorite bullet of all time for my 45's is a 355 grain WLNGC. Talk about accurate, and that is in 5 different Rugers. 2 Bisley's, 2 Vaquero's, and 1 Redhawk. I had already worked up loads for it when I found Linebaugh's load data. And I was using his loads for the high end.
This bullet is also very good at low velocity.

I have that 300 grain FN mold from Lee and it sure makes me miss my LBT mold when I am done casting. The bullet shoots good but it is rather tiring to cast with.:mad:

That RCBS mold I have used and that bullet shoots good but it just doesn't slap things the way that the LBT styles does. Good coyote bullet. I have shot Bears with both bullets and I won't carry that RCBS one in my gun again if I am going into the thick stuff. Let me re-phrase that: I won't carry that RCBS one in my gun again.

Just my opion but it took me several years shooting these cast bullets to develop it......

Will

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gents,
I have been shooting Lyman's 325gr GC design in my Super Redhawks with great success. In Nevada during the NCBS 2003 shooting I managed to put 5 rounds inside an inch using the 325gr over 31grs 296 in a Win. case. Great success is kinda mild ;>) 45nut

http://cast_boolits.aimoo.com/

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Around 330 gr. seems to be unstoppable in the .45 Colt.

Advice, get a few each of several different weights/styles, and see what works well for you, before buying a mould.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a lbt 300grgc lfn mold and 2 fa 454 casualls ,and you could not ask for a more accurate bullet it shoots extremely
accurate out of either gun with 296/h110/ lil gun or surplus wcc 820 with any powder charge that will move the bullet out at 1400 fps or more ,i have shot several 1/2 to 3/4 inch groupes at 50 yards and my best at 100 yards also with cast was 5 in 1 7/8. and both guns shot those loads with different powders all under a inch at 25 yards. havent tried any lower fps loads as i just use the 44 for that if not i probley would not shoot my 44s that much

1 - 12 of 12 Posts