Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to get a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull in near future.

I would like to try heavy for caliber bullets, berathoot 405 grain comes to mind.
Have any one tryed this bullet in a RSRH? What is the minimum velocity recomended for that bullet in that gun?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I hope to get a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull in near future.

I would like to try heavy for caliber bullets, berathoot 405 grain comes to mind.
Have any one tryed this bullet in a RSRH? What is the minimum velocity recomended for that bullet in that gun?

Ross Seyfried tried the 400 grainers several years ago and got penetration close o the 475 in test medium. Next he went to Australia and shot Water Buffalo with them and found that they didn't penetrate well on the Buffalo, not nearly as well as the 475 or the 360 45 cal bullets.
In my experience and IMHO the 360 grain flat point at 1400 FPS will everything that should be done with a 454

The 400 grainers can be pushed to the 1400 FPS range in some revolvers

·
Registered
261 Posts
When you get bullets that are extremely heavy for caliber, they are on the edge of stability even though when shooting paper they are hitting paper targets straight and not sideways. The same bullet when game is shot will turn on their sides during penetration and limit the amount of penetration. You can test them out in dry phone-books and see if this happens before going to the field. I'm not saying it will happen in the redhawk but a 405 grainer my be close to being on the edge of stabilization. I would drive them pretty fast to help ensure stability. My experiments with this stuff has came with a 45colt lever and not a 454 pistol so I haven't got the real experience and advice you need(its close) but I thought I'd throw in my two cents anyway.... Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did a bit of experimenting with heavier LBT Bullets several years ago. 265gr WFNGC, 335gr WLNGC and 370gr WLNGC and 405gr WLNGC. The 335's turned out to be my preference. They were very accurate, (1 hole goups @ 75 yds) and would shoot through anything. I settled on a reduced power load @ 1550 FPS and a full power load @ 1755 fps. Plenty of horse power to be sure! I shot a few deer with these and found that they didn't drop them as quickly as Hornady's XTP Magnums in 240 gr or 300gr do.

I do think that the 370 gr. bullets are the most efficient of the bunch. At full power I could get 1600 fps out of them and keep the shots inside of 1 to 1-1/2" at 75 yards. The recoil at that level is really severe though. Five shots off the bench and my wrist hurt to the point where it was difficult to get the next shot off accurately. I don't know what you are planning on shooting but these are truely brutes. I couldn't really find any advantage in the 405gr. bullets. I never bought a second box of them.

I know you didn't ask but IMHO if you are going to get a 454 Casull go with the Freedon Arms. I know they are pricey but you won't regret it. I wouldn't have a moments hesitation buying a used one. It is 2X the gun a new Ruger or Taurus will ever be. Im not knocking either of the other two but they just won't match the quality of what is essentially a hand made revolver. I bought mine 12 years ago, Freedom Arms informed me that the gun was 10 years old at that time and it is still has the precision of a swiss watch and the horse power of an M1 tank.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
A sample of how many Deer to determine that a Jacketed bullet killed better?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The Casull Thang --->

I own a couple of Casull's. One of them is a Taurus Raging Bull with a 6" bbl. Other than the quite stoooopid name the pistol has been great for the last 7+ years.

I have never tried any bullet over the 360's in weight but having shot the 360's with a full charge I do not have any NEED or desire to shoot anything heavier. Especially a heavier bullet at slower speeds ??? Whazzup wit dat ??

My general hunting load is a 265 and a 300 hard cast with a wide flat meplate. I do not hunt the big bears,cape buffs,or elephants so I do not find the need to try to push the 65K limit, although I do tend to load a little on the hot side.

As stated,my Casull is the Taurus brand. I know it is not a BBQ gun like the Freedom Arms,nor is it a weapon that can be used as a hammer,pry bar,or wheel chock, during the off season, like the Red Hawks and Black Hawks, but it seems to be built well enough(and surely purdie enough) for my application.

PLUS.......I don't have to use all that Mineral Ice for my sore hands cuz my weapon has a couple of features that them Brazilians thought of that the Americans couldn't seem to figure out. They had the "revelation" to equip there pistols with a "Expansion Chamber"(muzzle brake) and well designed grips.

These two features alone make it worth paying the extra money for the Taurus and to obtain the "lifetime" guarantee. No,wait......hmmmmm ??? -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have a taurus raging bull in the 454 flavor.... its got the 8.5 ish barrel with ports.
after some research, i shoot the 300 gr xtp mags.... at about 1600 fps.

they cut holes through both sides of deer that you can look through, at 50 yards
they also have broken both shoulders of a bear, and exited the other side, though left the jacket in the far side of the hide.

the 454 is a spectacular cartridge, and underestimated when compared to some of the new big stuff.
you will find that it works best with mid to mid-heavy bullets... from 300-350 grains.
penetration is available if you can keep it from expanding... but the velocity is usually high, so a thick copper wall is important.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Take Note --->

Hey imajeep, in one word -----"HARDCAST". It is the cure to many problems that hand gunners that work with the serious velocities OR plan to hit hard,big bones, face.

Remember that if ANY bullet sheds it's jacket,all you got leftover is super soft lead. My Casulls love the hardcast bullets from Cast Performance and CSJ.(I'm sure Beartooth are great also.)

I would also agree that the .454Casull is underestimated/rated. It is simply thought of by most as "just another pistol chambering". But......working at upwards of 65K psi it produces loads more energy than some of the more respected cartridges like the 44mag and 45LC. Properly loaded it will surely kill anything that needs killin' by me. ----pruhdlr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts