Shooters Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Getting a little off track here as usual, this fella hunts whitetail in Georgia.

His question,
My question is: Should I heed the warnings of the local "experts" who have taken deer in the area, and go to a heavier bullet, or even use my 7mmRemMag, instead of my 280Rem? Or should I stick with the 280Rem. with the 120gr. Nosler, and continue to have confidence that if I put the bullet where I want to put it, the deer will not go far, if he goes anywhere at all?

My answer, load some 140 noslers for your 280, drop the powder charge down a couple of grains and call it good.

And to Musgraveman, I'm certainly no expert on African game or hunting but I've killed about 40 pronghorns, 60-70 mule and whitetail deer combined and a handful of elk. Never shot one through the front shoulders on purpose, lost maybe 3-4, two of those were front leg hit the other was a gut shot. Contrary to what some folks on here believe Nosler ballistic tips in the medium weight range for 6.5, 7mm and 30 caliber kill those 3 species like gangbusters when the bullet hits anywhere immediately behind the front shoulder in about an 8" circle, we call it a double lunger over here on this side of the pond. For that matter I've put a good number of arrows and bolts through that same 8" circle and they expire nearly as fast from a broadhead, lungs fill up with blood and they're done.
And I'll reiterate what I said before, the animals in Africa are different than here, bigger as a rule, tougher and certainly different in design.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Kevinbear wrote:

Old school guys and folks that hunt Africa insist on shooting animal through the front shoulders claiming it's the only way to kill big game and it wastes almost no meat, they never acknowledge that a missed shot farther back than intended results in animals traveling long distances before dyeing.

Illogical train of thought there, Kevin. Exactly why shots are NOT taken farther back than the low shoulder. Lung shots do not work on local animals because they travel long distance with that. We do heart shots through muscle and bone with heavy bullets and very little meat damage.
I stand by this one, and yes I know you don't intentionally take lung shots, intentionally that is.

The guys in Africa don't care because they have trackers at there disposal that can usually find them.

Wow, Kevin, that surely is a very wild statement with no basis. I believe the guys in Africa indeed care more about wounding than anywhere else and exactly the reason why we shoot into the heart and not behind it. When hunting we use trackers to FIND live game. Wounding and tracking wounded game is very rare for any local hunter. Hunters who are known to a land owner hunt on their own. By law no foreign hunter is allowed to hunt on their own. Kevin, pse tell me which guys in Africa did you hunt with and observed this funny behaviour you mention?
My bad on this one, I'm sure your no different than we are here.

BTW any shot through the front shoulder wastes lots of meat unless you like eating around bullet holes.

Indeed not so. Look at my photos. We normally eat right into the wound channel as the photos will show. YES, when shot with 150gr from a .300 Win Mag at 120 yards there is a terrible meat spoilage but we do not do that - we use a .308W or .30-06 or .303 Brit or 7x57 or 7x64 Brenneke with bullets in the 180gr class that make clean shots through the shoulder - and a dead animal in its tracks or within 30-50 yards.
That is just not done here at least by my generation in this part of the country. As to African hunting as compared to US hunting as all the hunting is done guided isn't all the meat processing done by workers at the ranches/farms with only the best cuts from the huge animals being consumed by the owners?
Not quite like most deer hunting here in the US where there's a tradition of "do it yourself" or DIY and many of us DIY it start to finish, those front shoulders are tough on wild game and I would rather cut it off the bone and feed it into my grinder without pulling dirt or hair from a bullet wound thank you.

We shoot close shots (70-200 yards, depending on the terrain) because we prefer to stalk as close as we can which is part of our hunting ethic and because we can.
As do we here in the wild west of America, doesn't always work out that way though.
One thing I didn't touch on before is that most of African hunting done by Americans is purely for the trophy aspect, imo that changes much of the methodology of the hunts between the two countries.

My friend I am so sorry to say that your post is fraught with assumptions and speculation and no facts so I have to respond.
And I certainly value your opinions on hunting and enjoy the conversations.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Kevbear, I don't think there is any question he hunts whitetails in Georgia? For the majority responding, have recommended just as you have...

I'll agree once again with Kevbear and others.

OP, go with a heavier bullet in the .280 and call it good.

Where is the OP???

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've hunted quite a bit across the USA with my .308 carbine. Peering into the chest cavity of my kills I've deduced that chest wall thickness is almost the same whether the deer is big or small. It does not take a very heavy bullet to penetrate this chest wall to destroy the vitals. Go for accuracy first and foremost within reason. For example my .308 shoots 110 grain bullets quite well but I use 150's for hunting.

TR

·
Registered
734 Posts
Gotta love a Vizsla!

"Unless" you are hunting up pheasants at $10 a pop....that 'flushing" Vizsla the last guide I hired used took "me" hunting, ha. I was about wore out at the end of a dozen birds! wow!
They can really find the game! Yes, at ten bucks a pop, that can add up in a hurry, lol

Reactions: RevJim

·
Registered
101 Posts
In addition to everything that has been posted I'm willing to bet a 140hr is going to be more accurate in your rifle depending on the twist rate. Shooting a 120gr in a 7mm is like shooting a 130 in a 308 with a 1:12 twist that is going to produce the best accuracy with 165 - 168 bullets and good accuracy with 150's but not quiet as good as the 165/168. The exception would be using a Barnes Tsx or TTSX. The copper bullets tend to be longer so going with a lighter bullet still maintains accuracy due to the longer length per weight that make the lighter copper bullet perform like a heavier non copper bullet. I've also not had good results with a light to medium weight bullet for caliber performing well at close range. Never lost game with them, but they blow up and don't exit in my experience with cheap cup and core bullet in 150gr 308 win and 30-06. If your shots are short the cheaper cup and core heavier bullets stay together better otherwise a tough Barnes or similar style bullet will stay together on short range shots and exit. Like many others I like exit wounds for same reasons mentioned so if I'm going cheap with cup and core bullets I use 165 in 308 or 30-06 if I know shots will be 100 yards or less or I go to a premium bullet of strong construction. It's also better to use a slightly lighter than normal bullet with coppers due to before mentioned longer bullet length regarding optimal accuracy and also so that he copper bullets still open up well for the game intended. For instance I'm running the 100gr Barnes TTSX in my 25-06 this year and getting the same accuracy as 115gr due to the copper bullet of lighter weight being longer like a heavier 115 with my rifle with 1:10 twist prefers.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
old thread, but.... you can "Have your Cake and Eat it too".......

load up some 120 grain Barnes TTSX's....light weight WITH penetration.....

Reactions: MusgraveMan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Irrc GA has generous bag limits I would stick with the one who brung you, then if you are curious load up some 150 grains and see for yourself what all the fuss is about. But only if YOU want to not because you felt it forced upon you.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Its Bullet Construction that counts! Most 120's are too light jacketed so if thats your cake at least use a Barnes. I lived in Georgia 10 years and some of those Tift and Worth County bucks are scary big. Didn't take me long to ditch the Sierra 100 and 120 grs in my 25-06 and go the Nosler route. Not that Sierra won't kill deer, its that I started seeing inconsistent results and I'd rather dump a buck in his tracks than risk losing it to Gators in the Little River Swamps. Then you add a buck being in rut and when facing that beast on steroids and the shot of your life why take a chance. Bust him and make him pour blood out both sides.

My favorite big deer killer now is a Remington 722 in 300 Savage using 150 gr Horn or Speer hot core. The bullet is more matched to the velocity and thus the Hornady performance is superb.

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
Shoot what you shoot best. The deer it that area ARE tough, but I've killed more of them with a 6mm 85 Sierra HPBT than any other bullet....and had deer run quite a ways with everything from Bee to 458 American. They're tough as house cats.

·
The Shadow
7,460 Posts
MS 9X56 and others..

This habit of not reading dates is starting to wear.
I very much doubt Steven has been waiting for an answer for 4 years...

If you'd like to generally talk weights in a cartridge, or otherwise; then start a thread. This one served it's purpose.

Thanks

81 - 92 of 92 Posts