Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for loads with cast bullets ranging from 240 to 335 grains for use as hunting and woods defense rounds in my 625 mountain gun in 45 colt. I prefer using 2400 powder, but if another powder works better than it, so be it. I realize that the smith design cannot take the hot loads of the ruger revolvers, however I know it has to be stronger than a colt saa, and it seems that all loads short of cor-bons are made for these black powder pressure guns. does anyone have a good re-load which might fill my needs?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi- A friend and I just went through this for his 45 Mountain gun. While I can't recommend a specific load, I can direct you to Sixgunner.com. Click on the links for John Linebaughs website. He explains it better than I ever could do here. You'll need to read almost all of his articles to get the big picture. This is a really good read for anyone interested in the 45 Colt in any handgun. He covers it all.---------------------> Bob

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
Bullfrog,

You have a nice gun.  I've shot similar Smiths.  They are pleasant with factory loads and can be 'upped' a little over the SAA.

But they are not nearly as strong as a Ruger, and even if they were, you could not stand to shoot Ruger-class loads in them.  Trust me, it would hurt.  A LOT.

Plus it is really not necessary.  Why don't you try a 255 gr. SWC at around 1,000 fps.  With cast bullets this is easy.  In fact I believe that the current Speer manual gives loads up to this velocity level with their 255 gr. SWC, and the test gun was a Smith 25-? (2? 5? I forget which is a .45 ACP and which is a .45 Colt).  As a bonus your sights are more likely to be friendly with this combination rather than something lighter and faster, or heavier.

Personally I shoot a 'practice' load in my Blackhawks which is just this, a 255 gr. SWC at a little over 1,000 fps.  Lest you think this is a pop-gun - shoot a milk jug full of water with one.  Or better yet put about 5 or 6 jugs in a row and try to recover a bullet. The flat nose kills reliably, and for deer and such you'll have all the penetration you need.  

Anyway it sure is fun sometimes to think about the potential BUT sometimes we find that we can have too much of a good thing.  I was all hot to build a 5-hole .45 Colt once upon a time, till I actually got around to some 300 grain bullets at the 6-shot level.  That cured me of wanting to go higher.

Anyway I encourage to try the above and see if that doesn't meet your needs.  Bet you'd be surprised at just how effective the .45 Colt can be, even at original blackpowder ballistics and a smidge higher.

If you really want some comfort in knowing you have the absolute most power out of that round (which would also be safe in your gun), contact Cor-Bon and/or Buffalo Bore Ammo.  One or the other of them has a 300 grain load which they say is OK for the Smith DA.  One box will probably last for years, and be cheaper than buying all the components to work up your own loads.

Mike

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'm getting ready to start a series using H110, using a 300 grain GC'd bullet. This series will be for a Colt Anaconda.
I'll come back and let you know what I find out.
I load for two Smiths, both having 5 inch barrels, one is the Model 25 and one is the Model 625. I've never found any chore that 9.5 grains of Unique, would not handle, behind a 255 cast bullet. I like it so well I bought two 4 cavity Saeco molds, so that I could cast up a big pile of bullets real fast.
I have run into the same problem that Marshall did here I'm out of LBT Blue and have to find suitable replacement. From what Marshall reports he's found it and is using it on his bullets. I'll get a handle of his lube and give it a whirl.
Any way I load up buckets of this load and shoot thousands all year with them.
Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Smith 25-5 in .45 Colt that just loves 8.5gr of Bullseye with a Laser Cast 255gr SWC. It will cut one hole groups at 25 yds and am sure it would do real good on deer. I've yet to try any 300gr pills for it yet but now that the snow is finally melting it will be one of my next projects.
Good luck and God Bless

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts