Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen or seen used, the 285gr Barnes TSX ? I just noticed it on Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=153022

Quickload gives me an estimate of 2520fps with 66.2gr of RL-19 out of my .338 Win Mag.

I didn't use the Handloading forum, because I wanted to know who shoots the heavy factory loads too. Beretz got me started on this subject.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bet it would be tough medicine for anything hit with it Tang. You gonna try some? I like the Barnes bullets. They have impressed me with the .277 caliber 140 grain ones.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have seen them on Midway, that seems like some bad mojo for some animals.

Barnes bullets rock, shooting the .277 130's out of my 270 Wby. They make short order of a whitetail

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The 285 TSX and the new 265 grain TTSX bullet were designed for te 338 Laupa capacity type cartridges aS higher BC long range bullet. IMHO they missed the mark with the 285 TSX the BC s not high enough. The new 265 TTS ha a higher BC of about .680 or .690 and is the one that I am interesterd in

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If i am not mistaken you still have not gotten around to testing the 160 grain barnes tsx bullets either.
You are correct. But the weather here has been complete crap. We still have snow laying around, and now we're getting sleet and freezing rain. Im sick of this crap.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
When shooting the Barnes bullets i always go with the lighter weight bullets to pick up some velocity. Even the lightest weight bullet will give you a complete pass through. If your looking for long range balistics a traditional target bullet would be a better choice.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I saw that one also. I would think you would stabilize it fine in your Ruger. If you can get 2500 outta them, that would be a smasher of a load. Swift also has some 275's along with Kodiak and Hawk. I think you are going to have some fun with those loads. I would also check out RL22 with the heavier bullets. I have had good luck with it so far. I bought a can of IMR7828 which probably would be just about as good also. I put a couple of my beginning targets below.

The flyer in group two at 2600 was more than likely me. I wasn't shooting for extreme accuracy, as I would shoot, check the chrono, record the data, cycle the bolt, sight in and shoot again. I think I could have done better with more time between shots, but I wanted to see what I got for speeds to see if it was worth messing around. My loads were 70-71-72gr of RL22 seated to 3.34, CCI250 primers and WW cases. I am pretty happy with that I got. I will shoot it further out next time to see how they hold up at range. Scotty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts