Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a supply of gas checks for 45-70 .458 to be used with heeled cast lead bullets. I've been searching the web, but can't find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction to locate a supply I can purchase? Or even someone who can mold them for me? Thanks.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Huh? Why would you use heeled bullets in a .45-70? :confused:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you lived closer to me you could come over & we would cast together. Any way I have several molds for my 45-70 . A couple use gas checks but most are plain base. I would recommend some thing like a plain base 400 to 500 gr mold. Driven at 1200 to 1400 fps will take 2000 lb buffalo. I mostly use a 330 gr HP Lyman 1-Cavity Bullet Mold #457122 45 Cal (458-459 Diameter) 330 Grain at 1600 ps. Very accurate. A superb deer bullet. But for all around a 400 gr at 1200 to 1400 fps is hard to beat. Some thing like this. Mold Dc 457-405-f - Lee Precision. Lee has simple sizing & lubing you could easily do your self. Many here would be glad to assist you. I for sure would

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh? Why would you use heeled bullets in a .45-70? :confused:
Without knowing it, apparently I've used the wrong terminology for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for bullets that are cut to accept gas checks. Does that make more sense?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you lived closer to me you could come over & we would cast together. Any way I have several molds for my 45-70 . A couple use gas checks but most are plain base. I would recommend some thing like a plain base 400 to 500 gr mold. Driven at 1200 to 1400 fps will take 2000 lb buffalo. I mostly use a 330 gr HP Lyman 1-Cavity Bullet Mold #457122 45 Cal (458-459 Diameter) 330 Grain at 1600 ps. Very accurate. A superb deer bullet. But for all around a 400 gr at 1200 to 1400 fps is hard to beat. Some thing like this. Mold Dc 457-405-f - Lee Precision. Lee has simple sizing & lubing you could easily do your self. Many here would be glad to assist you. I for sure would
Thanks Dom. Appreciate the advice and info. Just not looking to get into molding my own bullets for now. Was hoping to find a source to purchase. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You may be using a wrong term. I am thinking that you need unlubed gas check bullets in .458 size. Missouri bullet may be able to help you. I know they have some unlubed bullets

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Yeah, wrong terms. "Heeled" bullets are like a .22 rimfire - the part of the bullet that fits in the case, is smaller than the rest. There are a few other obscure cartridges that do that, but not a lot.

Thanks for clearing that up!!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I used to shoot 385 grain bullets cast from 12% antimony linotype metal as cast with kopack filler, from a replica Sharps 45.70 but with the base as cast. What % mix of lead are you using?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't cast my own. I was hoping to find a source where I could purchase what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

[email protected]

i'd give him an email and tell him about your problem.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't cast my own. I was hoping to find a source where I could purchase what I'm looking for.
You already have the 45 cal. gas checks and you wish to buy already cast bullets that are made so a check can be attached . You will then seat the gas check , size and lubricate the bullet for loading ...right ?
The problem with that is every company I've looked at on line sells them lubed and sized or coated ...Coatings takes the place of lube and to an extent a gas check .
What you want is going to have to come from a custom caster .
Check with the boys at www.beartoothbullets.com .

Also do a search on the term " custom cast lead bullets 45-70" it turned up a lot of bullet casting companies ....one of them should be able to supply you .
Gary

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You already have the 45 cal. gas checks and you wish to buy already cast bullets that are made so a check can be attached . You will then seat the gas check , size and lubricate the bullet for loading ...right ?
The problem with that is every company I've looked at on line sells them lubed and sized or coated ...Coatings takes the place of lube and to an extent a gas check .
What you want is going to have to come from a custom caster .
Check with the boys at www.beartoothbullets.com .

Also do a search on the term " custom cast lead bullets 45-70" it turned up a lot of bullet casting companies ....one of them should be able to supply you .
Gary
Thank you Gary for understanding my issue and for the information and resources!

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can call up the casting company and ask if their bullets can be used with a gas check. I only use gas checks with my 11-13BHN cast bullets when firing at 2000fps or faster.
As such, you would NOT want sized bullets per se, as you will be "sizing" them to seat the bullet.
If you don't cast your own, sell the gas checks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can call up the casting company and ask if their bullets can be used with a gas check. I only use gas checks with my 11-13BHN cast bullets when firing at 2000fps or faster.
As such, you would NOT want sized bullets per se, as you will be "sizing" them to seat the bullet.
If you don't cast your own, sell the gas checks.
Yeah, after having few discussions with Bullshop.com I came to the same conclusion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After being in contact with a few specialty casters, they convinced me, that based on the factors of cost and performance, trying to find bullets for my gas checks wasn't worth pursuing.

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You may be able to sell your gas checks and simply buy bullets. I have bought .45-70 Hunters supply brand from Midway. Not bad pricing for boxes of 100.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You can use any cast bullet here. Just charge the case with powder, then seat a gas check, cup side up into the case, just far enough to get the bullet started, then seat the bullet on top. I resorted to this method for loads I use in my Sharps after suffering from poor accuracy with it's 32" bbl. You want the gas check against the base of the bullet to avoid compressing air between them when the powder is ignited

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can use any cast bullet here. Just charge the case with powder, then seat a gas check, cup side up into the case, just far enough to get the bullet started, then seat the bullet on top. I resorted to this method for loads I use in my Sharps after suffering from poor accuracy with it's 32" bbl. You want the gas check against the base of the bullet to avoid compressing air between them when the powder is ignited
Very interesting and novel approach. Will give it a shot. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts