Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been coming back to this site when using Google for certain topics and found this was a good site. A friend from another site also recommended this site. I am a avid hunter and enjoy going to the range. I do not handload, but use factory ammo for deer hunting.

My father passed away last year and the one thing I wanted most from his legacy was this Interarms Mark X. A guy in TX custom made this Interarms 30 06 for him in the 80s. I am going to have a local gunsmith do a trigger job and mount new scope, rings, and bases. I am looking to put a Bushnell Elite 4200 on the rifle. I'm hoping to get it up and running to use as a hunting rifle in begnin conditions only. Does anybody have much knowledge on this rifle? I know they were made in the former Yugoslavia. This is truly a beautiful rifle and my father killed a pronghorn antelope out in WY with it and honestly that is probably one of the few times it was ever shot. Here are some pics.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Those are good rifles and that is a beautiful piece of wood. Enjoy, and good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anybody have much knowledge on this rifle? I know they were made in the former Yugoslavia.
They are basically commercial 98 Mausers made in Serbia and Montenegro. The one you have is obviously one that was imported as a Mark X by Interarms back in the day.

During the 90's due to economic sanctions being placed on Serbia during the Balkans War, they were no longer importable until the sanctions were lifted. Once trade normalized, KBI started importing them again under the Charles Daly name. Remington up until a year or so ago began importing them and called them the M-798 and 799 (mini-Mauser).

EAA is the importer now. Sad part was that once Remington and now EAA started importing them, they dropped the left-hand Mausers and mini-Mausers.

I have two of the last LH Chuck Daly actions that were left in the supply before it dried up.

One is going to be a 9.3 Somethingortheother and I'm thinking of turning the other into an AI of some sort.

You have a nice rifle there. Hang on to it, enjoy it and pass it down one day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This rifle should meet all your hunting needs. As for changing the bases, yes, a two piece base would be more attractive but the one piece base is stronger. Unless there's a compelling reason to change the scope, a 3-9X is ideal for a .30-06 but would be a bit too much scope for woods hunting.

Also, I wouldn't get swayed by the latest short-fat-ultra-belted-kill'emdead magnum. The .30-06 can do it all with less noise, powder and recoil. It can also reach further than most of us are competent to shoot. You can also find .30-06 ammo i even the smallest general store that sells ammo.

·
Registered
599 Posts
These are really great guns in stock form and yours has a drop dead gorgeous stock on it. I agree the rings and bases you have are fine and I think the Bushnell Elite 4200 is a great scope. I have a Mark X Mauser 30-06 private labeled as an H&R Model 340 made in the early 70's and it shoots easily under a MOA at 100 yards. I just refinished the stock on it because it was starting to look a little worst for wear. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem with the rings is the allen screws have turned to mush. I tried to put a new scope on it and the allen heads rounded out, so I have to take it to a gun smith to get new rings. Maybe I will keep the base. I will have the gunsmith look at it. I haven't used the Redfield scope, but I would feel more comfortable with the Elite 4200 on the rifle. I have a brand new one and I would bet scope technology has improved since the time of this Redfield. It is pretty clear, but not sure how it handles recoil and if point of impact changes with magnification adjustments. I would rather start from scratch with new rings, scope, and a new trigger job. The trigger pull is really heavy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would any Timney trigger for a Mauser work on this rifle? Would the gunsmith have to trim some of the stock to keep the safety functioning?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
timney does make a trigger for the rifle but truth be told the factory trigger could probably be cleaned up just fine.
the one piece base is probably stronger, but it is unesessary and quite ugly... there are some very nice 2 piece bases on the market that are more than strong enough for any situation and they look much better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two piece bases do look better. The manual for the Mark X does state the trigger is adjustable. I don't have the experience to do a trigger job. I would rather a smith do a great job.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
to stone and adjust a trigger isn't much in terms of money... granted mauser triggers aren't terribly spendy either but your smith can make that call. for what it's worth the leupold bases are nicely contoured and are more than strong enough for their intended purpose!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it to the gunsmith and he is going to do a trigger job and change the rings for the scope. I am putting a Bushnell Elite 4200 on it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well, I see you made it to this site. Welcome!

If you think you'll still use your Marlin fairly often, I still recommend getting a Burris Fullfield II 1-7X35 (just priced one at $168) for your Marlin and put the Bushnell on your Mark X. If the Redfield scope is in as good shape as the rifle, you should be able to get a decent price selling it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I just sold a Redfield 3x9x40mm Golden 5 Star scope on Ebay for $192 so people still pay lots for their scopes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I see you made it to this site. Welcome!

If you think you'll still use your Marlin fairly often, I still recommend getting a Burris Fullfield II 1-7X35 (just priced one at $168) for your Marlin and put the Bushnell on your Mark X. If the Redfield scope is in as good shape as the rifle, you should be able to get a decent price selling it.
I've got a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 on the Marlin I just bought a month ago. I'm putting the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 on the 30 06 and I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 with Firefly reticle coming tomorrow that I will put on the muzzleloader. I'm set!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the first time to range the best I got with 165 grain Corelokts was 1.75" groups with a few in the 4" group range. I think alot of it was me and changing the the scope too much.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The gun may just not like core lokts. You might want to experiment with different ammo and different weights. Im sure that gun is capable of much better groups. For alot of guns the ammo with a plastic or polymer tip offers the best groups. Your gun may be different though. Cant tell till you try them

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've got the same rifle, but with its stock stock still on it. It didn't shoot well until I scraped out the barrel channel of the fore end so the barrel wouldn't touch wood. Then, it shot about 1" until my eyes turned 52.:eek: It likes 165 gr BT bullets best, with 1-2 gr short of top load of 4350.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts