Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all.

My name is Cam, i'm from Hobart, Tasmania (the little island state south of mainland Australia).

I'm a 47 year old father of two (6 and 3), and I've been a hunter and shooter all my life. Around work and family commitments i try to shoot (pistol and rifle) and hunt whenever i can. Mostly fallow deer, wallaby, and rabbits.

I'm just starting out on handloading for my rifles mostly in 25-35 (custom Martini Cadet) and 7x57r (CZ combo gun) due to total unavailability of factory rounds. I also hunt with 223 (Howa) and 308 (Parker Hale) but haven't handloaded for them yet. I've recently been forming 25-35 cases from Winchester 30-30 cases (they are plentiful and cheap enough to experiment with).

I shoot a Walther PPQ match 9mm in SSAA Service Pistol and Action Match and have been handloading 9mm for about 6 years.

Looking forward to talking to you guys and learning from your experience.

Cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Remage barrels and barrel nuts are commercially available these days. I started to make a list but there are a number of barrel makers as well as shops that do this.

This has been done for some Mausers and other rifles as well.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Howdy and Welcome Here, I like the way you write and I respect your interest in fire arms. You found the right place to be and I hope you settle in well. Happy New Years.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hello mate from W. Montana. I also load for the 25-35. Too bad were not closer as I have an abundance of 25-35 brass & Hornady117gr bullets.. Cheers & Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm a 47 year old father of two (6 and 3)
Good to see you here. I love things that I hear about Hobart. Sounds like an interesting place to live. I couldn't help by notice the part in your thread that I quoted above. My Son in law is about your age, and we just celebrated my Grand daughters 6th Birthday. That has my Son in Law the father of a 6 and a 3 year old. At His age, Son in law really has his hands full keeping up with those two balls of energy. I hope and pray that you do really well with yours and have the strength and energy to lead them in a very good path of life. All the best to you!!!! :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Balls of energy is absolutely spot-on! I'm very pleased to say that my two are the very best things i've ever been involved in making.

Hobart, and Tasmania in general, are awesome places to live and raise a family. I don't think i'll ever leave on a permanent basis.
I hope your son and grand-children are having a safe and very happy new year and thank you for your warm welcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to shootersforum.com from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest! HOOAAAHHHH!!!!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Balls of energy is absolutely spot-on! I'm very pleased to say that my two are the very best things i've ever been involved in making.

Hobart, and Tasmania in general, are awesome places to live and raise a family. I don't think i'll ever leave on a permanent basis.
I hope your son and grand-children are having a safe and very happy new year and thank you for your warm welcome.

Cheers
Yes, I know that feeling about children. We had ours in Our early 20's so now Our Grandchildren are the ages of yours. Lot different keeping up with those in 20's as opposed to in Our 60's, but we do the best we can and would not trade it for anything in the world.
I used to love the television show "Whale wars" and if I'm not mistaken, they launched out of Hobart. Also loved Steve Irwin the croc hunter. Think he and his reptile sanctuary had something in Hobart but not sure. How close is Hobart to where they mine for the opals? (Seems I remember that is north and west across the country from where you are.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I know that feeling about children. We had ours in Our early 20's so now Our Grandchildren are the ages of yours. Lot different keeping up with those in 20's as opposed to in Our 60's, but we do the best we can and would not trade it for anything in the world.
I used to love the television show "Whale wars" and if I'm not mistaken, they launched out of Hobart. Also loved Steve Irwin the croc hunter. Think he and his reptile sanctuary had something in Hobart but not sure. How close is Hobart to where they mine for the opals? (Seems I remember that is north and west across the country from where you are.)
The energy levels of my children stun me every day. I would have liked to have had children earlier in life, but as i tried to explain to my 6 year old son recently, the most important thing is to find the right wife first. I hope he's as lucky as i have been in that regard.

Hobart is the state capitol of Tasmania, the small island to the south of mainland Australia, and has a population of around 250,000. The river Derwent divides Hobart running roughly North-South. Mt Wellington dominates the skyline on the Western side of the river, and the city has spread to its foothills.
Hobart is Australia's gateway to the Southern Ocean and Antarctica and Sea Shepherd operated out of Hobart when the Japanese whaling fleet was active down South. Hobart is slso one of (if not the) deepest port in the Southern hemisphere and used to routinely host US CVNs on their way home from the Middle East in the early 2000s.

Coober Pedy (opal mining) is in the arid central part of mainland Australia, I've not been there yet, but my parents have a number of times on post-retirement caravan tours around the mainland. In Australia we call people that do that "grey-nomads", although it's not really a thing at the moment (thanks to COVID).

Tasmania, more broadly, is an incredible place with a history as a British penal colony, and has some incredible and unique wilderness areas and experiences in Australia, and i would encourage anyone to come and check it out when the world settles back down.

Cheers

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,087 Posts
Fellas, let's get the conversation turned back to hunting, shooting or firearms. Use the Personal Message (PM) board provided service for personal discussions. Thank you.

Reactions: lefevre.cj

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Welcome, Tassy is a tempting place to move to from vic some of the properties that come up for sale are good value.
Your gun laws seem a bit strict compared to vic but mainly from a permit perspective From I have heard.
Iv sold and baught a couple of guns to and from Tassy.
Often tempted to hop on the ferry and do a gun shop crawl.

cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome, Tassy is a tempting place to move to from vic some of the properties that come up for sale are good value.
Your gun laws seem a bit strict compared to vic but mainly from a permit perspective From I have heard.
Iv sold and baught a couple of guns to and from Tassy.
Often tempted to hop on the ferry and do a gun shop crawl.

cheers
G'day mate

No idea what the permit to acquire process is like in Vic mate, but it's pretty crazy here. Minimum 28 days for any Cat-A or Cat-B regardless of how many others you already own etc.

What kind of shooting do you do Shreck?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
G'day mate

No idea what the permit to acquire process is like in Vic mate, but it's pretty crazy here. Minimum 28 days for any Cat-A or Cat-B regardless of how many others you already own etc.

What kind of shooting do you do Shreck?
Before the dramas on line permits were pretty quick sometimes minutes, 28 days for your first one .
To many cat b’s and you end up waiting for a letter asking why you want another .

fox , deer, rabbit, Roos and hand gun.
Was just getting into service and cowboy but mostly standard and a bit of rapid.
Last year it’s pretty much been 22 subs out of single shot rifles at a steel disk .
We need to get out farther away from civilisation so I can get back to reloading and having fun with guns.
Absolutely love reloading and trying to get unwanted odds and sods to shoot well .
Good old 310 cadet rifle is what I have been thinking about lately , I picked up a 310 barrel in grease a while ago with intentions to chamber it with 222 rimed case and original bore then started thinking maybe 30/30 improved with original bore 357 mag and original bore.
Hard to make a choice.
Trying to make up my mind is fun enough for now.
guns = fun

cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Before the dramas on line permits were pretty quick sometimes minutes, 28 days for your first one .
To many cat b’s and you end up waiting for a letter asking why you want another .

fox , deer, rabbit, Roos and hand gun.
Was just getting into service and cowboy but mostly standard and a bit of rapid.
Last year it’s pretty much been 22 subs out of single shot rifles at a steel disk .
We need to get out farther away from civilisation so I can get back to reloading and having fun with guns.
Absolutely love reloading and trying to get unwanted odds and sods to shoot well .
Good old 310 cadet rifle is what I have been thinking about lately , I picked up a 310 barrel in grease a while ago with intentions to chamber it with 222 rimed case and original bore then started thinking maybe 30/30 improved with original bore 357 mag and original bore.
Hard to make a choice.
Trying to make up my mind is fun enough for now.
guns = fun

cheers.
I did a bit of research before i chose 25-35 for my cadet, in hindsight 30-30 would've been easier (just for availability of brass). Now that i've managed to form some 30-30 brass to 25-35 with reasonable success I should be ok. The other factor was what i was going to be hunting. Probably 75% of the time i'm just hunting/culling wallabies so lighter projectiles and more velocity seemed like the way to go, but i also wanted to be legally/ethically able to shoot fallow deer with it as well.

I should be able to make an informed choice soon about whether i go with 100gn at about 2500fps or 87gn at about 2700fps soon. At the moment, i reckon 87gn will probably be the one. Although, if i could get both to shoot to the same point of aim that'd be perfect. I know I'm probably kidding myself on that one though 🤣🤣🤣

Cheers

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I did a bit of research before i chose 25-35 for my cadet, in hindsight 30-30 would've been easier (just for availability of brass). Now that i've managed to form some 30-30 brass to 25-35 with reasonable success I should be ok. The other factor was what i was going to be hunting. Probably 75% of the time i'm just hunting/culling wallabies so lighter projectiles and more velocity seemed like the way to go, but i also wanted to be legally/ethically able to shoot fallow deer with it as well.

I should be able to make an informed choice soon about whether i go with 100gn at about 2500fps or 87gn at about 2700fps soon. At the moment, i reckon 87gn will probably be the one. Although, if i could get both to shoot to the same point of aim that'd be perfect. I know I'm probably kidding myself on that one though 🤣🤣🤣

Cheers
I have a similar situation, 130 grn minimum weight and 270 cal minimum caliber for samba which is what got me thinking about the whole thing .
Will be interesting to hear the projectiles preform.
87 at 2700 would do everything with good placement without being a mathematician.
Be a cracker on wallaby and fox.
I was hoping for 130 grn round the 2700 but might be asking to much .
Any where above 2000 would do.
I would be happy with a do it all at 87 grn doing 2700.
Be hard not to go bush with it .

cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a similar situation, 130 grn minimum weight and 270 cal minimum caliber for samba which is what got me thinking about the whole thing .
Will be interesting to hear the projectiles preform.
87 at 2700 would do everything with good placement without being a mathematician.
Be a cracker on wallaby and fox.
I was hoping for 130 grn round the 2700 but might be asking to much .
Any where above 2000 would do.
I would be happy with a do it all at 87 grn doing 2700.
Be hard not to go bush with it .

cheers
Yep, i see the problem. 30-30 would cover it in a cadet, 170gn at about 2300fps should be alright out to 150m, shouldn't it?

I took a CZ combo gun to Vic in April last year looking for sambar, handloaded 7x57r over 16ga. The 7x57 was 145gn speer over 35.8gn 2208 and was hoping to pick up some 16ga slugs but couldn't find any in Tas. Didn't really matter though, because i couldn't find any Sambar where we went in Vic either!

Hahahahahahaha

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yep, i see the problem. 30-30 would cover it in a cadet, 170gn at about 2300fps should be alright out to 150m, shouldn't it?

I took a CZ combo gun to Vic in April last year looking for sambar, handloaded 7x57r over 16ga. The 7x57 was 145gn speer over 35.8gn 2208 and was hoping to pick up some 16ga slugs but couldn't find any in Tas. Didn't really matter though, because i couldn't find any Sambar where we went in Vic either!

Hahahahahahaha
Hard things to find when you are looking for them.
Combo guns are a cool thing .
30-30 seems big in a cadet only time I have heard about one being chambered in 30-30 is on this forum.
I see 125 grn projectiles for 303 for sale cheap they would be what I would try first as a do it all gun, mostly for pests and the occasional deer but legal for deer just in case .(reasonably legal)
A box of 130 Speer are sitting there waiting as well .
What ever case that would get 130 grns up to 2700 ish leaving as much barrel as possible.
Standard blackberry bashing stock and a prism scope.
You or any one you no using prism scopes they are rare as hens teeth here .
I did buy a couple of vortex ones but when I got them home and found they had unlockable tactical turrets they went back to the shop.
Haven’t found one in a gun shop so far that is to my liking and I am hesitant on ordering one unseen , going to have to take a chance as I can’t find any one who is using them to have a chat with.
Be good for wallaby’s with there huge field of view.

cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts