Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to say high and I am very happy to have discovered Shooters Forum! There is so much information here, In a short time I've learned about Bud's Guns, Gunblast and Midsouth. Not to mention all of the general shooting knowledge here too.

I have been reloading for about 20 years and used to shoot High power and Long range. (when I had more time) I started out with a CMP M1 Garand, went to Winchester bolt actions and a AR15 service rifle.

I grew up on a farm and it was easy to step out and hunt or go plinking. And now I work with commercial security and acces systems.

I first came here because I wanted to see if Beartooth Bullets was still around, I ordered some .44 cal. WFN some time ago and was thinking of using them for a muzzle loader deer hunt and one of those bullets worked good last weekend! So now I am a believer in hard cast. So much so infact, I think I need to find a big bore lever gun.

Well thanks to all that make this forum work.

Phil

·
Registered
542 Posts
New to shooters forum huh? Welcome here. It is a fantastic place, isn't it?

I am very envious of farm kids. Since I grew up in a small town, I did have some luxuries there (riding my bike out of town for instance) but it still wasn't a farm.

Great to hear BTB worked out for you. If you're looking for a big bore lever gun, check out the Marlin 1895 Cowboy. That is a monster!

See you around the forum.

Matt

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
good to have you.. im gonna look for this midsouth forum .. if thats what it is..im a southerner in my eyes .. but i guess n.c. could be called mid south..that don t make me no less southerner though.. we didn t get the name tarheels because we had dirty feet..:D welcome..slim
ps thanks ..new south has velocitors ,so they say..young dog teaches old dog a thing or two.. i got plenty but if they have gottem ..i can shootem an buy some more.. been a while since ive seen any place that hadum ..
edit. they say there on order ..which means they can t6 gettum either .. thanks anyway it looks like a good source..

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,Phil,
I'm sure that you will like it here.
I also am a believer in the cast bullet for Whitetails.
I started out with a 30'06 and 180 grain Corelocks.
I quickly switched to the 30/40 Krag and 150 grain Hornady Interlocks.
Now,I do just as well,with the 30/30 Win and 170 grain cast PP.
Frank

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to reading some of your posts. I too grew up in the rural farm setting. My cousin and I had a 200 yard range behind the house which we could use most of the year except when my grandfather planted corn and it got above knee high.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has been pretty could on the tail end of this storm. Yesterday driving bettween Minneapolis and Eau Claire, there were cars, trucks and even semi's in the ditch.

Deer hunting was slow this year. The corn didn't go out till after rifle season so they had plenty of hiding places. One thing that has me thinking about bigger / slower moving bullets is the # of homes that have popped up in areas near to where I hunt. So i left the 338-06 in the safe. It shoots a 200 spire point at a very consistant 2800 fps. I have also used a 6.5-.284 with 140 grain boat tales. It's not well suited for hunting with a 32'' heavy barrel. But I can hold it pretty steady off hand for about 5 -6 seconds!

That got me thinking about accuracy when I was on the road today. That 6.5 can shoot some small groups but when I hold it off hand or on a improvized rest, it shoots like a average deer rifle. Maybe accuracy is more what you can do at the time with what you have?

I have another question too. If a Liberal cries about something and the media was not there to broadcast it, did the liberal make a sound?

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Welcome Phil, and I too was a farm-raised kid, and didn't realize at the time what a treasure it was to be able to walk out the front door with rifle and shoot squirrels, rockchucks, and coyotes, then switch to shotgun and shoot ducks off the farm ponds.

We have some common caliber interests. I too have a 338-06 on a Mauser action, and it likes 215 gr Sierra boatails. My 6.5 is the '06 variety and is one of my favorites, although mine is - again - on a Mauser action, but a sporter configuration with 24" barrel. It likes the 140 gr Nosler partitions. Sounds like your -284 is a long range setup.

Welcome, and look forward to you joining in on the discussions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome Phil.
A 32 inch barrel on the Mauser action? I would think that combination would be tight grouper all the time , bench or off hand. Is the barrel "free floated" and at the bench do you use the NULL spot of the barrel on the bench rest? Can you post a picture? Mygila

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the 338-06, Yvonne, is a 24'' barreled Mauser. It looks nice with a oiled stock and a Buhler type saftey. One piece redfield mount and a Vari X II scope.
The 6.5-284 is a Winchester push feed. It still has the original varmit stock with a added rail in the forearm for a hand stop. It has a 20 MOA scope mount for use with a Nikon 6.5 X 20 scope. The scope could barely zero at a 100 yards but had plenty of windage adjustment at 1000 yds. I used it mostly for F class but I could put peep sites on it too. The rear is a PNW and front I cant remember but it has 3 MOA hieght adjustments and adjustable irises on both ends. The chamber reamer was ground towards small side of 284 tolerances and when you use the Lapua, Norma and I think Hornaday brass which are manufactured towards the big side you get a tighter fitting cartridge in the chamber and thats a 6.5-284 Norma. And there is neck turning as well.
I don't have a nice bench rest like you would see in the Sinclair catalog. I did load development in what I reffered to as ''Supported prone". That was on the ground with the shooting coat and sling but with my army sleeping bag under the rifle. That seemed to be the best way to keep my pulse beat from showing up in the scope. And it was akin to the type of shooting I was doing. From the bench with the scope cranked up and my pulse beat moving the point of impact in 2 different spots... I probally could have used a nice rest but never sprung for one. Blackstar double cyro treated barrel, all together me and the rifle could shoot on the average .4 and .5 inch groups. 10 shot strings were a little bigger but these rifles need to perform hot. I would shoot 6-8 or more sitters and 20 for record. Sometimes shooting parts of the 20 rounds fast before wind or mirage conditions would change.

Yea its not like slaping some deer hunting ammo together for Yvonne and shooting 1-1.25'' groups with her but they are two different birds.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Yea its not like slaping some deer hunting ammo together for Yvonne and shooting 1-1.25'' groups with her but they are two different birds.
I'm scratching my head, here...have you named one of your rifles, "Yvonne"? Does your wife know about this other "woman" in your life? Do you call your 357 revolver, Fred?

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Er..well..uh, I might the wierdo here. My wife is ''OK'' with it most of the time.

No it's just a nice classic loooking Mauser. Had it for a while and its something I wont part with. ...But if you tickle her in right way it will bark out some nice groups...4'' @ 600 yards.

And besides, I'm done if Brett Favre knocks on the door.

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
welcome to the forum,im having a 6.5-284 norma built on the 700 action,im wanting to try out the f-class
some time in the near future.i have a buddy that grew up & has family in sacred heart & is supposed to carry me deer hunting up there. i will prolly have some questions about the f-class for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts