Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have finally gotten to the point where handgun sights are becoming very hard to shoot with. For punching paper, I can use one set of eyeglasses that work...kind of, but, when carrying a rifle (scoped), the eyeglasses that I have been using, which fill the bill in that respect, are totally off base for the handgun sights. I made a peep sight rear blade partnered up with a round brass bead front sight for my Redhawk on Grizz's advice, and am going to try that out this week and see if things improve. I DO NOT want to put a scope on my handguns! I am just wondering if any of you "old timers" (read "experience") have come across anything to help you with this problem? I would appreciate any opinions that you may have to offer....I am becoming very frustrated with this issue!

·
Banned
127 Posts
I have the same problem with sighting with my tired eyes. :mad: I think Griz's idea may work. The only thing that has worked for me are sights that have painted dots on the rear sigths and a flourescent insert on the front. Trigicon sights work for me too. Of course, I do not know what your particular situation is. The only other thing that may work is having your arms stretched out to about five inches longer! :D

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Take a piece of black electrical tape and punch a small hole in it. Experiment with the placement on the lense of your dominet eye untilthe hole lines up with your normal sight picture. You'll be amazed at how it sharpens your image.

There are fixed and adjustable apartures sold in various shooting magazines that either clip to the frames or with suction cups to attach to the lense for the same purpose.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Kdub's idea is a good one. They sell a patch that clips over your
eye glass. It has a choice of retical sizes and you can use whatever
suits you. The other idea if you shoot targets, wouldn't work for hunting,
would be to go to your eye doctor and have a pair of glasses cut to
give you a happy medium. Sort of sharp sights and a little blurry target.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant thank you all enough! I am going to try some of these ideas out. There was also a thread on eyepieces in another area of the forum that I read with great interest...maybe there is hope after all !!!

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I cant thank you all enough! I am going to try some of these ideas out. There was also a thread on eyepieces in another area of the forum that I read with great interest...maybe there is hope after all !!!
Lyman sells a "Haweye Shooters optic aid" Part #3112020 which clips on your glasses. Might be worth a try.
Mike B.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike!!!!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...just a short note here. I made a "peep" blade for the rear sight of the Redhawk. Went to the range today and it is MUCH better than the open sights. I still have to use a different set of eyeglasses than I normally do, but at least thinga are improving.

·
Registered
484 Posts
try practice dry firing focus only on front sight. sometimes we need to let the natural pointing take over. for years i shot ipsc/uspsa and many top performers teach to focus on your front sight and all else will follow. i believe this since one of my best stages ever was shot with a gun that had no sights at all. apparently the sights sometimes just get in the way. i am not saying to take a 75 yd shot with a sightless gun. what i am saying is shooting while strongly focusing on front sight can you retrain your shooting as our eyes get not so cooperative.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
duane; I always have focused on the front sight...problem now is, I dont have no focus no more!!! Tried the peep...it worked remarkably well. A forum member, Grizz, came up with an idea that I am going to try, and if it works, which I think it will....it should improve things.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got around to taking some photo's of the peep. The 5/32" peep is used for working up loads...very accurate, and the 1/4" peep in the photo of the Redhawk will be used for hunting (better field of view, target acquisition, light, etc). Anyway, so far its working out well, and some of you with the same problems I have may want to give something like this a shot.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts