Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in acquiring my first 1911 style handgun. I currently own a SIG P228 and a Springield XD-9 and am happy with both guns.

I was very interested in the new SIG GSR 1911 style gun. It retails for $1077 and seems to be constructed of quality components. Has anyone seen/handled one of these, or better yet, shot one?

My real question is probably pretty loaded. What should I look for in a quality 1911? I hear stories all the time of all the gunsmithing work people "have" to have done to their production 1911's. I want a quality gun that won't require me to spend my kid's college money. Spending about $1000 -1100 is my price range. Can I get a very good 1911 for that price? One that will hold up and not need gunsmith work to make it reliable?

From what I hear - the contenders are Springfield Customs, Kimbers, and the SIG GSR. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. My local dealers do not stock any of these "higher end" guns locally, so I'll be buying blind most likely.

Thanks.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Of the choices you mentioned I would go with the Kimber. I am not a Springfield fan and the SIG is an unknown that is probably not even available yet (though I don't know that for sure).

For the $ you are talking you can get a Kimber that will be all you need straight from the box. The only thing I have done to mine in the 3+ years that I have owned it is to fit an ambi-safety (I'm a lefty) and put Wilson Shok-Buffs in it (personal preference).

Really any of the upper end factory guns should run well out of the box with, say, 200 rds of break-in shooting.

ON the other hand I would thjink that for the money you are looking at you might be able to get a basic Wilson, Brown, or Baer gun. Even if you bought one of those off Gunbroker, AuctionArms or what ever, I don't think you would really be buying blind. Those guys put out a good product with their name on it, and they'll stand behind their guns. If you haven't yet I'd check out www.1911forum.com and www.pistolsmith.com

Hope you find what you're looking for. Sean

PS. You may want to look at a Dan Wesson as well. Sean

·
Registered
56 Posts
My recommendation is for a ParaOrdnance. I know for a fact that you can get a P14.45 LDA for $600. The LDA stands for "light double action", but the pistol is really DA/SA.

I have a stainless steel P14.45 Limited that is a really sweet shooting, very accurate gun. It's a bit heavy when fully loaded, since the double stack mags hold 14 rounds. It may or may not be big for your hands, but I like being able to load and shoot 14+1.

Some 1911 fans will say that the ParaOrd slide or action or something is made of inferior metal when compared to Brand X, but that malarkey is straight from a gun magazine, not from their personal field experience. My P14.45 has several thousand rounds through it, and it has only misfired when shooting 185gr TMJ light loads. Every other factory spec load, ball or JHP has fired and cycled flawlessly. That's one misfire in 3000+ rounds.

Kimber is a very nice weapon, and I am jealous of the poster that mentioned his 10mm. I WANT one too! But for value for your money, my opinion is that ParaOrdnance can't be beat.

Also check out www.auctionarms.com Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan Wesson Patriot

Anyone have any thoughts on the Dan Wesson Patriot Elite series? They are priced comparable to the SIG and look like good 1911's to my untrained eye.

·
Registered
41 Posts
mmike87, i own a kimber pro eclipse II. can't go wrong with this gun. out of the box it's the finest shooting 1911 i ever shot. as are all the kimbers i'm sure. good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes

Jack Monteith said:
Check out the Dan Wesson forum at 1911forum.com.
Seems that most poeple are happy.
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=52

Bye
Jack
I checked it out. They have a pretty thorough review their. The review piece got very good reviews, but did break a magazine release. The reviewer seemed to think that this was a fluke, and the Dan Wesson rep confirmed that they were looking into it, and they made no excuses, which was a good attitude to have.

Problem is - I can't find a dealer anywhere in Virginia, so far, that carries them, or even one that can get them. :(

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not to be a smarta$$, but for $1077, I'd buy two Colt 1991s first.

·
Banned
169 Posts
DLS said:
Not to be a smarta$$, but for $1077, I'd buy two Colt 1991s first.
I wouldn't waste the money on Colts. Sean

·
Registered
250 Posts
Exactly my sentiments toward Kimber's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dazed and Confused

DLS said:
Exactly my sentiments toward Kimber's.
I'll tell you - for a guy trying to but his first 1911 - I'm confused as ****. Buying my SIG and Springfield XD-9 were easy - but with these 1911's it seems people are VERY, VERY opinionated as to what is and isn't "good."

I have switched alliegance from SIG GSR, to Springfield TRP, to Kimber Gold Match, back to SIG, and now and thinking more TRP again. I think I'm going to lose my mind - and none of my local dealers seem to have any "nice" 1911's in stock to see ahead of time.

It's enough to make me start sniffing glue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Actually Mike, any of those you mentioned would probably make you a fine 1911. It all boils down to, what kind and how many bells & whistles you want on it. Myself, I have come full circle, the closer to John M. Browning's original design, the better I like them. Old school I guess.
Now, if I were to spend over one grand on one pistol, it would only be on an Ed Brown.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mike, I know just how you feel: I read everything I could get my hands on before I purchased my 1911, and still wasn't sure if I had the right thing (I bought a used gun on a replacement frame for $200, replaced link, pin, barrel, slide stop, and rear sight and got lucky: 2 inch groups at 25-30 yards)

I am about to drop a controversy bomb, so hang on for a ride....in traditional Gov model setup, how about Auto Ordnance 1911A1 "WWII"?

(pause while boos, catcalls and thrown rocks abate)

Just take a look at www.thegunzone.com/ao1911a1.html for a very informative test of the gun. Its now produced by Kahr Arms, and from people I know who have purchased it, its a good honest gun for a LOT less than the others. Leaves you a good basic gun you can customize as you see fit, instead of trying to buy everything at once.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm sure EVERYONE will tell you thats all its worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Team Match 2

I settled on a Kimber Team Match 2. Here's why:

- The TRP looked like a solid gun, but the 20lpi checkering were murder on my computer programmer hands - very sharp, uncomfortable. True to it's tactical roots, definietly a gun to shoot while wearing gloves, in which case the more aggressive front checkering would be an advantage.
- SIG GSR, well, I liked what I saw online, but I just can't wait that long.
- Kimber Gold Match - didn't have the front strap checkering and beveled magazine well that the Team Match has. Alas, the Team Match as a polished carbon steel barrel, and the rest of the gun is stainless, and the stainless Gold Match is all stainless, inc. barrel. No biggie in my book.

I liked how the Team Match looked and felt, and the fit and finish was excellent. I held it next to a Baer Thunder Ranch, and liked it better. The TR just didn't fit my hand well with the narrow grip, and to be honest the trigger, slide fit, and overall finish of the Baer, while better, were just not that much better to my eye - not enough to convince me to buy it when the Kimber fit my hand better. And, the "new" Baer was scratched to **** in a couple of spots from being show a million times (not too many spend $1650 on a single gun, I guess.)

The Les Baer certainly was a solidly put together firearm, however. There was ZERO - NADA - NONE - ZILCH slide wobble at ANY POINT in the slide's travel. Alas, the slide was a Baer to cycle sometimes. These guns definitely need a good break in period.

So, Team Match it is. Havn't shot it yet - but soon.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like my Colt 1991A1. It just works. I've had a little work done on it (trigger job and sights), but it is basically stock. A friend of mine has a Kimber, and it is a darned fine gun. I still like my Colt, and when we are at the range he tends to shoot my pistol more than his own, most of the time more than I do...

There are as many opinions on the 1911 style out there as there are people. But it all comes down to the fact that the basic design was "divinely inspired", and you just can't go wrong with it. I even have a LLama 45 that is one of those "10% different" styles that works just fine. It all comes down to what you [think] you want, and how bigh your wallet is.

I still prefer my Colt, if for no other reason than it has "Colt" on the side...

·
Banned
432 Posts
I havent heard any opions about the S&W 1911's, how do they compare to the upper end Kimbers, etc.

Bill

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
about 5 years ago I purchased the Springfield "Loaded"
stainless 1911a1.
It was not a custom shop gun, but came with a package of the most requested customer option...
1. NM air guaged BBl
2. S&A extended beavertail
3. flared & lowered ej port.
4. 4.5lb trigger
5. skelitan hammer
6. bevelled magwell
7. Novac combat sights
8. fancy 25lpi grips.
9. full length guide rod.

I have not had problem one with this pistol. it eats everything I feed it and hits where I aim.

The choice is yours, but I'll offer this...more $$$ is not always better...a 1991a1 colt is a fine gun too for the $$$

Here's my Springfield...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts