Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I 'm researching this rifle from my grandfather who was in WWII in the 10th Mountain division. I think its a Mauser 98K, but I'm not really sure as I have not seen any others like it. He had taken it off a sniper. It has the Nazi Eagle stamped on the bolt which I will follow up with the specific markings later in this post. For now here are some pictures showing the gun, the scope, and stock inlay.

Can you help identify this rifle or tell me more about it? How do I preserve the wood stock and can I just use gun oil on the metal finish like Hoppes 9?

Thanks

*****UPDATED NUMBER/MARKINGS******

I got all these numbers 7114 on the barrel 7111 on the trigger plate mod.98 on the firing mech. and the scope says R.A.Litschert patent 32336.107 it also has eagles or swastikas in assorted places. There is script CR regular C 1 on the barrel we are not sure of the R it could be another C or O.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,451 Posts
For sure looks like a k98. You may have an interesting find there. Any markings on the scope?

By the way, you should see "k98" on the left receiver rail, between the bolt cut and front receiver ring.

Could also be proofmarks and other markings on the triggerguard, safety, buttplate, barrel bands, front sight, etc.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Semi sporterized stock (Germans won't have inletted the stock or recoil pad). Scope and mounts looks US orgin not German.

CD

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the scope. Looks very Unertl-ish to me.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,023 Posts
Either that or a Lyman. Definitely not a German scope or mounts. The German military always had a side mount or one on the barrel rear sight. Don't think they ever tapped the receiver ring. Looks like a customized M98K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please see the updated info I provided on the scope manufacturer and updated markings...does that tell us any more about it?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The 7114 and 7111 are serial numbers, but they really won't do you much good as there were so many makers. Check under the rear scope base, that is where most of the info is located.

·
Registered
406 Posts
R.A.Litschert was an early American scope maker. He started out making an add on for hunting scopes that raised the scope power. Called a multiplier or something like that. Some time in the 40s he started making target scopes. In the 60s the company became the Davis Optical Co. Some don't think the quality of the optics are as good as the Unertls.

Frank

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,451 Posts
Need to look under the rear scope base. Those markings (if still present) will give the manufacturer and the year, usually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So under the scope were the letters b c d. Does that tell us anything? Doesn't seem to be a manufacturer name or date like 1944 or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
bcd is the WWII German code for "Wilhelm-Gustloff-Werke, Weimar" They also used "337". Codes were used to preWWII to confuse allied intell due the the WWI Varsilles Treaty and continued til the end of the war. The year may be stamped at the bottom of the ring just above the chamber (below bcd, ie 41-45). Below is a link for all the other subcomponents.

German Ordinance Codes

CD

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
ferrisnox,

Welcome to the Forum; I see this is your third post.

About the only thing original on that Kar 98k is the sling. In 1935, the German government began producing the shorter 98 Rifle and designated it the Karabine 98k.

The plastic inlays in the butt stock and the scope are post WWII and do nothing to add to the value of an "as issued" arm. The stock can be preserved by rubbing in a few drops of boiled linseed oil every so often per the Old Army Manual.

Again, welcome to the Forum.

Webley

1 - 13 of 13 Posts