Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this in a pawn shop and couldn't resist. They knew nothing about it other than it's a 38-55. Nice 6 power Malcom scope. I think it's a Sharps Borchardt action, but not sure. Here is a pic of it next to my Highwall. There is no exposed ha hammer
Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Tints and shades

·
Registered
429 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Its a Sharpes or a clone. California English stock wood and not factory. That's somebody's project gun.
That might be a reproduction of the Sharps Borchard. The left side plate doesn't have screws in the right position for older Borchards. The rear of the action is contoured. Most Borchards are straight cut on the back end. Could have been done by the smith doing the work. The square metal where the hammer would be, has very sharp edges. Not common on Borchards I have seen. These edges are usually slightly rounder.

Frank

·
Premium Member
17,579 Posts
The 'turkey feather bronze' color of the receiver is a bluing error with high alloy steels. 'Error' is too strong but its not a mistake made by an experienced bluer. The most popular Sharps clone was the Colt Sharps series, but they had outrageously figured Claro walnut stocks and Canjar set triggers. I can't imagine anybody tearing one down for the action.
I'll bet it traces back to a home hobby gunsmith. Have you checked under the buttpad and in the barrel channel for a maker's name? Any markings under the wood on the barrel?

Frank DeHaas published two books of single shot actions that can be made in a home shop. That's a possibility if it has no other markings.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't know what it is but, it isn't a Borchardt, unless it's been highly modified.

Reactions: JBelk

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,943 Posts
Yes, very nice. Good workmanship and fitment. The 38-55 is still on my bucket list.

RJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like a sharps rep! But the browning of the receiver could have been done that way intentionally as old traditional rifles was alot of times rusted rather that blued. It sure is a beauty! love the caliber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts