Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time posting I was wondering if anyone can provide information on a scope that was included with a rifle I purchased today. I can’t find any information.
Wood Publication Trigger Gun barrel Font
Tire Writing implement Office supplies Pen Automotive tire

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,134 Posts
Please don't just dump things in general, this is an optics question; ergo belongs in the optics forum.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Looks like an early Weaver 'T' series (6, 10, 16, etc.) on a 60's-early 70's Rem. 700 BDL., which would be era correct. If so, there should be markings on the eyepiece indicating the brand, model and power. Look it over closely, it may be turned to the underside of the eyepiece.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
That's a great vintage 700 remington, they had a Walker trigger which should be replaced and a stock with stamped checkering but the action and barrels were very well made, what cartridge is it chambered in? Most likely 270 or 30-06 but they were made in some interesting chamberings as well like 280.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
That's a great vintage 700 remington, they had a Walker trigger which should be replaced and a stock with stamped checkering but the action and barrels were very well made, what cartridge is it chambered in? Most likely 270 or 30-06 but they were made in some interesting chamberings as well like 280.
I had the same impressed checkered Rem. 700 BDL in one of those 'interesting chamberings' you mention. Mine was a 6.5 Remington Magnum. My second one, I had had one in a Model 660 with a 20" barrel. When they introduced that chambering in the 700 BDL with a 24" barrel, I just had to 'upgrade' so I bought it in 1971. I still have the barrel (the action was used for a 'hunter class' BR gun) which is marked with an incomplete caliber name, the word Magnum is missing, it simply says 6.5 Rem. ...odd!
Those original Weaver T's are (were!) great scopes, albeit a little heavy, I have a 6X and a 16X and can't say anything negative about them.

P.S. In my opinion, the 6.5 Rem. Mag. did not get the attention it deserved. Deep seated 140 grain bullets hurt it's performance and reputation due to it being chambered in the short actions of the 600, 660, and then the short 700. I think it was generally 'dismissed' as a 270 Win. 'wannabe' that didn't measure up.

Edit: BTW, if I'm not mistaken (could be wrong?) the O.P. posted photo appears to be a short action Model 700, so would be chambered for one of the shorter series cartridges.

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
That's a Weaver T something. It's marked under the rear scope ring. Great scopes.

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
"Hmmm. My first thought was that it was an older Redfield? "

Mine too, but they were marked on the left side of the turret so it wouldn't be a mystery. :)
The Weavers are very lightly stamped right where the rear ring is. My T-10 is marked
"Micro-Trac" on the left side of the turret.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
My first thought was a Weaver T Series but have to admit that an older Redfield popped into my head for a split second. I've never owned one, but admired those that I have shot/seen. What caliber is the rifle?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts