Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to identify an old flintlock pistol that I found at my grandparents. I dont really know anything about it, but here are 2 pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
First of all, it's a caplock, not a flintlock. Beyond that, exact identification may be impossible. It doesn't look antique to me, though I could be wrong; more like perhaps a Spanish-made muzzleloader from the 1960s-'70s, maybe even built from a kit. Are there any visible markings anywhere on it?

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Welcome to the Shooter's Forum.

Aftaid I'm not going to be much help in identifing that pistol. My guess though it's something on the low end of the scale since it's lacking a buttcap and barrel bands, which most of the military and sporting arms had. Appears to be cut for a rear sight which is missing.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

I'm with pisgah - and, it sure looks like it was rode hard & put away wet.....

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I'm also with Pisgah. It looks very much like a Dixie import or one of their kits.

I should be marked "made in XXXX" as all imported produce must have such marking to be legally in the country. Look under the barrel.

The rear sight is missing. I suspect if you look beneath the barrel at the front of the stock you will see about 1/8" hole that was for a steel ramrod.

The lock has a "cast in" design behind the hammer that shouts reproduction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for your responses, I did find "JUKAR 0058711 SPAIN" stamped on the barrel. Any idea of what this would be worth? $100?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
JUKAR was a very very low end supplier. Some people said it should be pronounced "Junker". Some of their stuff was OK. they made locks for CVA in the 1970s-80s.

I would guess that the pistol you have sold originally NEW in the box for about $45.

In the condition of yours(very poor), I'd say $25 would be fair. It is a nice project gun. You or another could clean it up, get a sight, recontour the stock and refinish with some "brass furniture". then it would be a nice looking wall hanger, that would shoot. This gun was never accurate, and I suspect the market was mostly for reenactments and as an introduction to black powder.

It is worth what ever someone is willing to pay.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That is a colonial pistol marketed by CVA. It was sold by Dixie Gun Works a number of yrs ago. IT is a percussion , not flint. They were available complete or in a kit.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Thank you guys for your responses, I did find "JUKAR 0058711 SPAIN" stamped on the barrel. Any idea of what this would be worth? $100?

Unfortunately, they originally went for maybe $50 -- strictly mass-produced, inexpensive BP pistols. Sometimes they can be refurbished in to solid fun shooters, if the bore is in any kind of shape at all, but in that condition I could find one almost any Saturday morning in a yard sale around here for no more than perhaps $10. If you have any interest in muzzleloaders, a bit of cleaning-and-fixing-up could net you a lot more in fun than it will ever give you in dollars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Correct on low end quality early Jukar. Later Jukar improved barrel and IIRC were forunners of CVA and used the 2 piece breech with the Drum and Nipple as as "crossbolt". The one piece breech is the key. Forgive an old man stories but one of these launched nipple into range roof after it sheared hammer. I would leave it as decorator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts