Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Inactive account
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I got a big problem. I took my Ruger #1 apart to clean and somehow when putting it back together the parts got stuck! The lever will only move in the open position and the breech block will only move about 1/4 inch. The pin does go through all the parts but it won't action at all, what the heck did I do wrong this time? Never happened before and I did not have my mind on what I was doing so I can't remember what I did wrong???

Has this happened to any one out there with a #1? It has always come apart well in the past and the rifle is far from being worn out as I got it from a friend who's father bought it new so I know the pedigree.

Wilhelm the dunce

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,352 Posts
Good luck with this, but please don't double post. Your other three near-identical posts were deleted, FYI.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Wilhelm, I've been there. Keep working it, it'll come apart. Make sure your bench and floor are clean and bench is covered with a towel or something. You may have to use a little pressure and hopefully won;t misplace a part when it comes undone.

You might have the ejector stuck up inside the action. It's finicky until you've done it several times. Also, the block is holding it there in an improper position....just an educated guess. Work it...it'll come apart.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Also, do you have the manual? If not, go to Ruger's website and download the pdf for the Ruger1B. Getting the ejector in the right place and keeping it there while you slide the breech block up is the trickiest part. I jammed mine once for a few minutes.

If you still can;t get it from the manual, email me and I'll send you some of my take-down pictures. Maybe they'll help. Take no inferrence of condescension here - I realize you have done it before - but you never got it stuck before, right?

·
Inactive account
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
StretchNM, I think you got it. I also think it's the ejector rod, it's held on the inside wall of the receiver by a little spring and it may have gotten frigged up when I dropped in the breech block. If so do you slide a thin piece of metal like an old fashioned feeler gauge to move it around out of the way? I did already got the schematic of the #1 and wanted to know how the trigger went in and I had it right according to the schematic I got from Numrich's site. Any photos you send would be appreciated. My e-mail is [email protected] which would be easier to send photo attachments. Thanks for the help.

Wilhelm

·
Inactive account
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
StretchNM, at 9 am I took your advise. I just picked up the receiver and gave it a good shake and all the parts fell on my work pad on my bench! I almost got it stuck again but caught myself in time, thanks again for the help, I owe you one. This Ruger #1 is a great piece of gun art but has a weird action! I won't be taking it apart unless I really have to give it a good cleaning. At the price of .257 Roberts rounds I don't shoot it as much as I used to. I should have bought the .303 British model but even that ammo is steep.

Wilhelm

·
Inactive account
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jaguarxk120 I didn't know about the spring tension. I don't see how it can adjusted except drilling a small hole on the spring rod? I'm not going to frig around with it as I have enough problems putting it back together this time, eh, eh,. Thanks anyway for the info.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Wilhelm, I'm glad you got the block out. I think success hinges on how carefully you place the ejector in and how well it stays put while you slide in the assembled block! As I said, it happened to me too, but I took the opposite approach after that happened: I took it apart and put it back together four times I think...maybe five.... all in one sitting. Every time I take it to the range, I break it all the way down to clean it. Not because it needs it, but for familiarization. I'm pretty comfortable with it now. ((:)D)))

You can adjust the ejector tension with the screw on the left side just forward of the receiver. A small set screw applies tension to the ejector stud and spring, and onto the ejector cam, and then to the ejector. You have access to adjust it just by taking the forearm off.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Wilhelm,
Pictures sent to your email

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.