Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend inherited an old SW...a set of poor quality photos attached. Would appreciate any ideas on what it is and if it's worth anything. It has a good bit of rust and the cylinder does not lock up real tight.

My initial thought was that it is a 38 SW chambering, but 38 Special rounds will load into the cylinder. Most of the references I found to 38 SW revolvers were for 5 shot cylinders, where this is a 6 shot.

It has a 5" barrel.

The number visible when the cylinder is open is "3609".
There is a number under the barrel "766917".
Lettering on the right side of the barrel is "38 S.c & W. CTG"

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Banned
421 Posts
It's kinda hard to tell from the pics, and with those grips on it, but it looks like a model 10, or a pre-model 10. Can you take the grips off and look on the bottom of the grip frame? That's where the serial number is. Get back to me with the whole number, including any letter prefix, and I'll look it up in my S&W book.
Another tell tale may be on the bottom of the grip frame as well. The "Victory" models made for WWII had a hole drilled up through the bottom grip frame for a lanyard ring. Those grips could also be covering that up.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...I'll ask him to pull the grips and get the serial number.

I didn't think the M&P was chambered in 38 SW, only in 38 Sp. Or is it possibly a 38 Sp revolver despite the markings on the barrel?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Its an older M&P. Has the 3 screws for the side plate. Makes it pre-1956 or 1957. Not worth too much as a lot of them were made.
+1 for the older M&P which has the small lump under the hammer spur and the large head on the ejector rod with a corresponding cutout under the barrel for the ejector rod head. This one has an after market set of grips.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was just told that the owner has not tried to chamber a 38 sp. Sorry for the error.

The left side of the barrel only says "Smith & Wesson". No M&P. Does this make a difference? Was the M&P chambered in 38 SW?

There are symbols on the right side of the barrel after the writing. Infinity mark and some asiatic looking mark.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's kinda hard to tell from the pics, and with those grips on it, but it looks like a model 10, or a pre-model 10. Can you take the grips off and look on the bottom of the grip frame? That's where the serial number is. Get back to me with the whole number, including any letter prefix, and I'll look it up in my S&W book.
Another tell tale may be on the bottom of the grip frame as well. The "Victory" models made for WWII had a hole drilled up through the bottom grip frame for a lanyard ring. Those grips could also be covering that up.
New info from owner:

1.38 Special will not chamber, so this is a 38 S&W presumably.
2. There is a hole for the lanyard ring on the base of the frame.
3. Serial # on frame base is...766917 P

Thanks for any info. I supppose we could also check w/ S&W directly.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The M&P was made in 38 S&W cartridge for a number of police forces in different countries. Also for the British in WWII. The 38 S&W models were called the Model 11 when S&W started to use number designations.

·
Banned
421 Posts
New info from owner:

1.38 Special will not chamber, so this is a 38 S&W presumably.
2. There is a hole for the lanyard ring on the base of the frame.
3. Serial # on frame base is...766917 P

Thanks for any info. I supppose we could also check w/ S&W directly.
Leverite, PM sent!

I believe it to be a Victory model, made from 1942 - 1945 for the war effort, many shipped to Britain. Info supported by SCSW.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice

That's an interesting old Smith. It can sometimes be heard referred to as a "5-Screw". You will see the trigger rebound screw just in the front of the trigger guard. Looks like it's in pretty good shape for its' years.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's an interesting old Smith. It can sometimes be heard referred to as a "5-Screw". You will see the trigger rebound screw just in the front of the trigger guard. Looks like it's in pretty good shape for its' years.
I've only seen it once...it was pretty crusty inside the barrel. I suggest that my buddy get a can of KRoil and go after the crud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts