Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I picked up a sporterized Steyr Y 1903/14 rifle. The bore (after cleaning for an hour) appears really nice with highly-defined rifling. The action functions smoothly and is sweet. It has seen some wear and modification. There is the Greek Crest, which has some pitting by it. Also, the receiver has three screws tapped into it on the left side, which appear to have once held a scope mount (I have the screws, but not the mount.)

The difficult part is that the stock is cracked and has been repaired, but not well (the stock reads that it was originally sportorized by Holland & Holland). It needs a new stock. Also, there's no clip. I've looked into these through web research and found that it likely was a 6.5x54 mm. It also used a 5-round rotary clip.

Does ANYBODY know where I could get a fitted or universal replacement stock that might work with this rifle? Also, does anybody know where I could get a replacement clip?

If I can't cheaply refurbish it, I'll sell the action and barrel (likely on gunbroker or a local trading site), because the action is generally well regarded.

I understand the rifle was originally made by Steyr for Greece prior to World War I. Any information anybody has on this rifle or helping point me in the right direction would be helpful. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gil!

Thanks, Gil. I have read a lot about the rifle, but am striking out with major parts manufacturers. I'll keep on trying. I appreciate your help!:)

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
As far as info,I know that the greek goverment ordered over 100,000 M1903 rifles but many of these have been modified to a sporting config.You are correct that they were chambered for the 6,5mmx54 mannlicher schoenauer caliber.good luck on your project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts