Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking about getting a Ar-15. First let me say that I am new to AR-15's but I am not new to guns I have many. I have been looking around and have pretty much come to the conclusion that a Colt is one of the best but there is no way I can spend that much money. I'm leaning towards a bushmaster but I dont know much about AR-15's. Im looking to spend Absolutely no more than 1000.00 I want to use the 5.56mm/.223 caliber. I will be using this for some target shooting and if ever I need to defend my family and I if the SHTF.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Basically they are all good if built to MilSpec standards. I've shot numerous makes and all functioned properly. A hunting buddy turns his nose up to anything unless its Bushmaster but his latest performs worse than my current also ran manufacturer. I've read where different makers are supposed to be better in a tactical equipped version but since tactical doesn't interest me its only so much BS. There are several out there in the $650 to $800 range that are basic versions. Depending on what options you want will determine where in that range the price falls. LoPro upper receiver without forward assist and plain foreend without muzzle brake will be lower price.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Don't get the Bushmaster/DPMS "Plinker" model, they have pencil thin barrels, or the DPMS Sporticals, these are red headed stepchildren of the AR world.

I'd get the Mini 14, its way more reliable than any AR and much less expensive.

·
Banned
170 Posts
I have used the DPMS STAG and Bushmaster. All are good and had no problems. The stag was a home build. Very easy to do and cheaper. I recommend doing it yourself. You will learn everything about them and get just what you want. Buying all the tools and parts you could finish one for probably 6 to 8 hundred bucks. Plus a budget optic and your in the 1,000 dollar range. Then the BRD disease will take hold and your finger gets ichy and your butt starts to feel a little smaller.

AL

·
Banned
484 Posts
If you want to stay under $1000.00, there are still lots of choices in a MILSPEC (built to military specifications) AR-15. Bushmaster, DPMS and Smith & Wesson come to mind. I now have a Bushmaster heavy barreled full size flat top AR with a scope and just bought a S&W MP-15A (a smaller AR that is similar to a military M4) with an Aimpoint on it. They are both extremely relible and accurate. I shoot them alot and have never had a malfunction with either.

You can get the S&W for about $850.00 new if you look around. One thing to be sure of is to get good magazines and plenty of them. You can learn all about them (and the AR-15 itself) at AR-15.com

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a Colt Match H-BAR A2 20" and a Bushmaster Dissipator A3 16" and love them both. I have some DPMS uppers that I strap onto the bushy every once in a while and they seem pretty good to.

The Colt is a classic and a great shooter, which is why I bought it, but over all they seem to be over priced by retailers both in the new and used market. If you get a good deal, you should be able to get one for under $1k.

You should definitely be able to have your pick of a good bushy for under that price too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Build your own

So I have been thinking about getting a Ar-15. First let me say that I am new to AR-15's but I am not new to guns I have many. I have been looking around and have pretty much come to the conclusion that a Colt is one of the best but there is no way I can spend that much money. I'm leaning towards a bushmaster but I dont know much about AR-15's. Im looking to spend Absolutely no more than 1000.00 I want to use the 5.56mm/.223 caliber. I will be using this for some target shooting and if ever I need to defend my family and I if the SHTF.
You can build your own for alot less. One thing about the AR15 is all products work to the same spec. The Standard A1 version is probably the cheapest to build and you will end up with a good working rifle and fun to shoot. I recommend you go to www.brownells.com and watch their excellent videos on building one. They also sell kits of parts, completed uppers and lowers, or you can do as most do, pick and choose parts to fit to make your own version.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for your help...So would it be to difficult to build one myself...Im not stupid but im also not a gunsmith. I can take apart a bolt action rifle but thats about as far as I have ever had to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks guys for your help...So would it be to difficult to build one myself...Im not stupid but im also not a gunsmith. I can take apart a bolt action rifle but thats about as far as I have ever had to do.
Thats the joy of building a AR15, you can, more often than not, take a part out of your buddy's gun and put it in another and it will work. You don't have to do any gunsmithing. Look at the videos I recommended and you will see.

Good luck.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Watch out building them is addictive. I'm on my second and planning my third. For some people building the lower and buying the upper makes the most sense. For the lower build you really don;t need any special tools.The upper requires a barrel wrech ,a upper reciever block, a vise, a torque wrench and a set of vise grips (if you get the stripped upper).

One hint is to make sore you get the lower parts kit and the stock/buffer assembly at the same time, these parts kind of require each other. the stock holds a spring and detent in place, the detent holds the buffer. Its not absolutely critical, just easier than keeping track of parts while waiting for other parts.

Regards
Gene

·
Registered
125 Posts
It never fails to crack me up, a guy posts a new thread asking what sort of AR-15 he should get, and not three posts in someone is suggesting an entirely different genre of rifle, in this case a Mini-14. What is it with gun enthusiasts that we seem compelled to impose our tastes on others even though they have specified something different? Say, instead of getting a AR, why doesn't the OP get a nice S&W 357 revolver, those are good!!! Egads.

Back to the subject at hand, I personally think that Colt is NOT the way to go. Don't get me wrong, they are good guns, but for $1000 or less you're going to be limiting yourself. Lots of good stuff out there by many manufacturers. I personally like Armalite and Rock River myself, but many others are every bit as good. Have fun!!

·
Banned
217 Posts
If you decide to purchase (or build) the lower separate from the upper remember to order the bolt and bolt carrier. Some uppers come with them and some don't, just make sure you know what your getting.

The price of an upper generally gives you a reasonable gauge for quality, but not nessecarilly function. more expensive uppers have a better fit and finish, but most will function pretty well. I don't know this for sure but the price does seem to have an effect on customer service if you get a "bad" one.

AR15.COM has a wealth of info on this. Some of the guys talk pretty rough there, but they sre straight when they tell you who to stay away from.

Regards
Gene

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
How is a Mini 14 a "completely different" genre? Its .223, its tactical, it takes high cap mags, it has all kinds of worthless accessories, its semi auto. About the only thing it doesn't have is the unreliability of the AR.

A Mini is a completely legitimate answer for this guy, if he chooses, its simply a suggestion.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Its it most certainly not that different, especially not if you do something 'like' this

not that I am advocating it.....

Unlike Matt, I have not seen the unreliability issues with the AR that he has, but I am definitely an advocate of the Mini-

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The mini-14 also does not have anywhere near the accuracy of most ARs. Mags are a lot more expensive unless you buy those worthless Pro-Mags, fewer after market items, and not at all convertible to other calibers easily. I can take one AR lower and convert it to any caliber from .17 to .50 in just seconds and can order any upper I want through the mail with no gunsmithing or 4473s being done. Try converting a Mini to .458 SOCOM in seconds, it's not going to happen.
If you only want a 5.56 semi and sub MOA accuracy is not important, then there is nothing wrong with with the Ruger, but I'll take an AR over a mini every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
As to reliability, I've never had a reliability problem with any of my dozen plus ARs. Keep them clean, oil them a little, and they will run until the cows come home.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I wasn't trying to start another AR vs Mini war, they are pointless. I like both platforms, but when you life depends on reliability, the mini is there. For clarification, the only AR that I have that is unreliable is my SBR, my long barreled guns aren't 100% if they aren't shot from the shoulder. My mini has been 100% even when I've laid it on the ground and just touched the trigger. Anyway, ARs are accurate and that is primarily because of the DI system.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
How is a Mini 14 a "completely different" genre? Its .223, its tactical, it takes high cap mags, it has all kinds of worthless accessories, its semi auto. About the only thing it doesn't have is the unreliability of the AR.

A Mini is a completely legitimate answer for this guy, if he chooses, its simply a suggestion.
And you can get a mini in 7.62x39...or an SKS in the same.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts