Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen I'm looking for a rifle and I have list of requirements it needs too meet. I can't find anything with all the attributes yet. Your help would be appreciated.

Stainless steel barrel
Bolt action
5 round magazine plus
Caliber 9.3x62mm2

I live in the tropics and hunt dangerous game in dense bush land. I often hunt alone and Asian water buffalo live in large mobs. The caliber and magazine capacity is important. Stainless barrel is a bonus. Cheers

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Having owned a couple of 9.3x62s, cannot say I know of anyone today making one in SS. For me, I'd take my CZ 550 Carbine and seal the innards of the stock and then have the barreled action Cerakoated. Problem solved :D

Good Luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would opt for a SS Win Mod 70 Safari Express in .416 Rem Mag (or, if .416 Rem Mag ammo is hard to find in your area, as a second option .375 H&H). If you need more firepower than that, you are probably doing something dangerously foolhardy IMO.

BH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sako in stainless steel synthetic stock will take 3 rounds in mag and one in the barrel it is possible to get an extended mag to take more
Charlie boy

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I believe Merkel's new R15 uses a DM, which would allow for fast reload. It sells for less than the CZ 550, even with wood stock.

Tikka T3 gives you SS, but 3 + 1 capacity. I prefer the CZ myself.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Luke have yourself a 9.3x62 built on a P14 action. I am unsure whether or not you could import from South Africa a locally produced button rifled barrel in the best steel available, to Australia. I have in my whole life of hunting not seen any advantage of stainless steel over best quality, blacked carbon steel. One reads and understands the theory. But whether that is necessary in practice is open to debate but not to hard evidence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have lots of rifles, but the 2 that always come out of the safe are my CZ .375 and my Howa 6.5 x 55.
In Victoria its not legal to hunt deer with the 6.5, but I have taken Eland, water buck and Wildebeest with my 6.5 x 55

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Wayne, I am interested to understand why the 6.5x55 would be deemed unsuitable by law? Over-penetration with 160gr bullets could be the only reason...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yup, Harry - see post #6... I am presently agonising between a .35 Whelen and a 9.3x62. Fortuntely it will be e a while before the decision needs to be made... :)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yes, I think so indeed. And seeing it is the minimum that Game Departments or ranch owners with dangerous game require for DG it has a wider application than the .35 W.

I do not hunt eland anymore but the .35 Whelen would have been my rifle dedicated to only eland. Had I been in Australia where this OP is and with the possibility of P14 actions around the 9.3 certainly would be my choice

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wayne, I am interested to understand why the 6.5x55 would be deemed unsuitable by law? Over-penetration with 160gr bullets could be the only reason...
They drew a line in the sand and said that for the larger Deer, .270 was the minimum caliber. The Sweed falls ander that line and so its not allowed to be used on Samba, Red and I think Rusa Deer. The other 3 deer species you can take with a .243 so the 6.5 is fine. These are Hog, Chital and Fallow

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Luke have yourself a 9.3x62 built on a P14 action. I am unsure whether or not you could import from South Africa a locally produced button rifled barrel in the best steel available, to Australia. I have in my whole life of hunting not seen any advantage of stainless steel over best quality, blacked carbon steel. One reads and understands the theory. But whether that is necessary in practice is open to debate but not to hard evidence.
I would second this. The P14 action is a cock-on-close as well as a controlled feed action with a Mauser extractor, critical features in a dangerous game rifle.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
I have given up on these 'Authorities' with their so called 'Experts' making judgements. There are hundreds of Swedish 'moose' shot every year with the 6.5x55. There is something about the 6.5 x 55 which kills animals efficiently given the right bullet/load combination. Just absolutely crazy to say it would not cleanly kill a sambar for instance or are they allowing for 'hunters' who could not hit a barn door at arms length?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have shot Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, Kudu, Blessbuck and Springbuck with my 6.5 x 55 and not one of them ever needed a second shot. The Sweed is an amazing caliber.
But the law says no, so you do as the law says. .375, .338 or .308 on the bigger 3 deer species and the 6.5 x 55 and .243 on everything else.
I just cant bring myself to ever own a .270.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts