Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm looking for some help identifying a cartridge based on the 22 Hornet. I recently purchased 200 of these thinking they were 22 K- Hornets but after getting them home something didn't seem right. The necks strike me as being much too short. Let me give you the dimensions and then I'll try to upload a few photos. Overall length is 1.290, case diameter just above the rim is .289 and just below the shoulder is .280. The best I can determine the outer neck diameter is .236 and the inner diameter is .218. The length of the neck itself is about .115. Will try to upload some pics. Thank you in advance for any information that you can pass along. Will even accept best guesses. Da V

Sorry, just getting aggravated trying to load pictures. I have JPG files from my camera SD card but can't figure out how to attach them. Would also appreciate any information on the correct method of doing so. Da V

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,885 Posts
You won't be able to post pictures until you have completed 25 meaningful posts. Join the other discussions and you'll soon have them. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you kdub, I wasn't aware of that requirement. I try to learn something new every day. I guess I can take the rest of the day off now. Da V

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Da V,
From the header on your last post you have 21 of the 25 needed to beable to attach photos.
there is also a 'sticky' post forum on photo size and attachment requirements.

In th interim, "Ammoguide Interactive" at ammoguide.com, has available a cartridge dimensiion based search engine of their over 1000 listed cartridges.

Also some more measurements of your cartridge would help narrow the possibilities.

Chev. William

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Send your pics to me and I'll post them. I have several thousand K-Hornets to compare it to.
j belk 0 9 at gmail

Just guessing by your measurments somebody shortened a hornet by .100, necked it down to .20 caliber and blew the shoulder out like a Kilborn Hornet.
OR more likely, somebody misread or didn't understand decimal places and trimmed 200 cases .100 short instead of .010 short.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you chevwilliam for those resources, I will check them out. JBelk, I will take you up on your offer and forward the photos that I have to you in an e-mail. Thanks to all for your replies. Da V

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Here are the pictures from DaV.

first two are his and the second two are mine. IF the base to shoulder distance is about 1.140, we know the brass has just been trimmed .100 too short.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JBelk, thanks for shedding some light on these cases. Perhaps now I will think twice before buying brass on an online auction based on a picture and an incorrect description. On the bright side I paid very little for this white elephant brass. Thanks to all who replied. Da V

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
could it be 22 hornet ackley improved?

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
"Improved Hornets" are a dime a dozen and seldom are two identical. I have five DIFFERENT 'K'-Hornet reamers. Some are hand made.

In about 1987, Ross Seyfried wrote a small column about the K-Hornet in G&A. I had been communicating with him and giving him chrony figures until he wanted one (and I built a highly altered Kimber 84 for him). We discussed how many variations there were and what was 'correct'. I made 'chamber' cast an RCBS FL die, a Dillon FL and and a Redding FL K-Hornet die and compared them. One was slightly longer and one was slightly fatter. I picked a reamer that would make a case that all the dies would properly resize and had three of them made with three pilots to fit the wide variations in bore size found in factory Hornet rifles. I rechambered over a hundred Hornets from that one blurb in G&A.
I consider the K-Hornet the very best 'improvement' ever made on a rifle cartridge, primarily due to its small size. Any increase in volume makes a big difference in performance and moving the headspace datum from rim to shoulder solves the case separation problem present in so many Hornets. The 'problem' was the lack of suitable actions. The CZ-527 solved that problem in a BIG hurry.

Here, just because its a fine Hornet, is the granddaddy of the CZ-527. This is a brand new, 1949 model, ZKW-465. One of the finest rifles ever made, but with a BAD fault. They're not heat-treated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
now i know. nice rifle!!!!!!

i've been "thinking" of building 22 hornet/k hornet or 22 lovell(still have to research it) out of a old mauser or enfield or krag(springfield armory) action. the cz 527 has my attention too. but lucky for me, i don't have the cash to do it.

i had the 222(i luved that m340), 223 and the 22-250ai, and i think its about time to shoot .22 caliber bullets again. i luv my 20 vartarg(varmints hate it) and 34gr hp but............

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
SUCH a deal I have for you!! I have a solid bottom FN with .222 bolt face and a SS bull barrel in 22 R Lovell. New and unmolested, in the white. No trigger.

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Super Moderator
9,433 Posts
Assume you have reloading dies that work in whatever version of the K-Hornet/Improved Horent it got chamberted for.....it's only in more recent times they standardized one of the varations into the K-Hornet.

With dies that work in that rifle, should be able to resize those cases and get some use out of them....without dies, don't know how you would have used them if they did fit.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
drool drool drool.................

i wish i had the money!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Isn't it chevwilliam that's making a short wildcat out of Hornet brass for his 25 auto pistol project?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts