Shooters Forum banner

Help --- Win. Pre-64 model 70 (big problem)

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Oberndorf 
#1 ·
My 16 year old son got a Winchester model 70 made in 1950 in 30-06 for his birthday.

We have had two accidental firings with this gun on his first hunt. This came after 100 safe bench rounds were fired. The only difference was weather was hot at the range ---cold on the hunt.

The first accidental firing happen when loading the gun and closing the bolt to chamber the first round.

2nd accidental firing happen when he went to unload the gun and moved the safety from safe to the center position. It did not position just right. Maybe a little forward of center and discharged on its own without the hand being anywhere near the trigger.

At home with a snap cap I was able to make the gun drop the hammer accidentally several times by sight safety movement, and even once by closing the bolt with the safety in the fire position.

Whats up ???? Help will, be most appreciated.

#2 ·
You have a worn safety,firing pin, or sear. The safety bears on a notch in the firing pin (or you can call it the striker as I'm not sure which term is 100% correct). When it goes on safe the firing pin is lifted off of the sear. When it goes back on it lets the firing pin / striker back on the sear again.

Maybe it wore out, maybe someone did a bad trigger job..... but you have a definite problem. If you put the safety on, can you see the firing pin move back at the rear of the bolt? If so it is probably working OK and I would then look at the sear engagement. You can test this with the gun out of the stock and maybe see what is happening easier.

Hope no one got hurt.

#5 · (Edited)
Maybe it wore out, maybe someone did a bad trigger job..... but you have a definite problem. If you put the safety on, can you see the firing pin move back at the rear of the bolt? If so it is probably working OK and I would then look at the sear engagement. You can test this with the gun out of the stock and maybe see what is happening easier.

Hope no one got hurt.
Yes I can see movement --- Also the trigger pull seems light.

Thank God no one got hurt. He was well schooled at having the barrel pointed in a safe direction ---

Thank you folks for the very helpful informnation.

#6 ·
If the firing pin is moved back by the safety, then you have a sear issue. Probably some home gunsmithing job that was done a little too ham-handed and took all the engagement.

Glad to hear that muzzle was controlled. I had a rifle go off once when the safety went off, same thing, someone had gotten a little overzealous with the trigger adjustment. Can't be too careful.......

#7 ·
old_sxs,
If you're handy with mechanisms, you might take a look up at the top of this forum for instructions on adjusting the Mod 70 trigger. One of the nicest features of the pre-'64 rifle is the simple trigger adjustment. I've adjusted them myself, and for friends/neighbors, and they're about as simple as they come.

However....the easy - and safe - way out is to take it to a gunsmith, who can assess whether it was just an adjustment problem, or if the parts are worn and need replacing.

Good job on teaching your son to be safe.

#8 · (Edited)
Update ---

The problem seems to have been a botched trigger job. Trigger pull was set at 2.5 lbs. Adjustment screws prevented proper trigger travel --- And the trigger spring had been CUT to shorten. The trigger spring was so short it was not putting tension on anything. It was just free floating.

Put back together by a competent gunsmith with a new spring and trigger set to 3.5 lbs.

Hopefully no more problems. It could have been a life changing disaster if someone had been hurt or killed by the accidental firings ---

Thanks for the advice and your quick responses.

A GREAT website !!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.