Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a remington 30 ot 6 bolt action rifle and the guy at the store sold me some federal brand ammo centerfire 150 grain soft point bullets but they dont fit in the gun they are too fat and wont let the bolt go all the way in is this the wrong ammo for the gun or what? please help

·
Registered
129 Posts
Take the rifle and the cartridges - along with your receipts - back to the store. If your rifle is a 30-06 and the cartridges are 30-06 then they should work. Make sure your rifle is empty and all the cartridges in the original Federal box. Explain what's wrong and let the store clerks or manager check things out. DO NOT try to load the rifle yourself to show them what the problem is.

Hopefully they'll set things right for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sweet thanks bro im a big noob when it comes to guns but i really want to learn and become a avid hunter just never had a dad or anyone to take me and teach me but im just having some problems with the bullets and i will try what u said. Thank you for your response everyone on here seems really nice and very knowledgeable i look forward to learning a lot from you guys. Thanks again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
you should be able to find the cartridge your gun is chambered for on the barrel near the action. could be a case of wrong gun in the box. if the gun was a used gun, it may have been rechambered, and the changed was not stamped on the barrel. double check the box, you would not be the first guy to grab the wrong box of ammo. i have had to hunt with an empty gun because i grabbed the wrong ammo leaving the house.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes. Do not force the ammo and do not attempt to shoot it. Take a look at the base of the cartridge to see if the caliber is marked. Take ammo and rifle to a gun shop and have them look at it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
3006 ammo

You might have a case brocken off in tour chamber as well. 3006 is well known for case seperation and the stuck 1/2 of thecase or maybee just thecase neck could be in there beeing a gremmilin. Thant is why you see stuck case extractors for the 3006 advertised everywhere, A gunsmith will fix you right up. NEVER Force anmmo! J.Michael

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Newgun91,

Welcome to ShootersForum. As a wise man often said, "Rules are simple, be nice and join in."

Perfect advice from the guys above. If your 30-'06 ammo won't fit easily in the gun's chamber, do NOT force it. Either you have an obstruction in your chamber, or you have a gun that was changed to shoot a different cartridge. Regardless, get both to a qualified gunsmith and figure out what the deal is.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
I've merged your threads. Please don't double post.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You might have a case brocken off in tour chamber as well. 3006 is well known for case seperation and the stuck 1/2 of thecase or maybee just thecase neck could be in there beeing a gremmilin. Thant is why you see stuck case extractors for the 3006 advertised everywhere, A gunsmith will fix you right up. NEVER Force anmmo! J.Michael
The .30-06 is well known for case seperations? in bolt guns and factory ammo? Really? I have owned three dating back to 1985, shot many hundreds of factory rounds and many many more re-loads and never had a seperation or known anyone else who had one. Is .30-06 more prone to seperation, or have you just heard of more because the caliber is nearly as numerous as most all other calibers combined?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the replies guys it really helped it turns out that the gun i had was a 22-250 and not a 30-06 like it was supposed to be but like i said im a noob when it comes to guns so i didnt know how to tell the difference but i got it all worked out things are working great now goin to the range tomorrow to shoot. Thanks again to everyone who replied to my post.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
thanks for all the replies guys it really helped it turns out that the gun i had was a 22-250 and not a 30-06 like it was supposed to be but like i said im a noob when it comes to guns so i didnt know how to tell the difference but i got it all worked out things are working great now goin to the range tomorrow to shoot. Thanks again to everyone who replied to my post.
did you get proper ammunition for the 22-250? Or did you get a 30-06 like you were supposed to have gotten originally?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Well I feel we must ask the following? Did they give a .30-06 rifle now, or did you keep that first 22-250? If you kept the 22-250, are you sure you got the lead / brass cleaned out from trying to force the .30-06 round in there? Was that original gun damaged?

Now, if you got the .30-06, does it have a scope and have you shot high-powered rifles before?

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
J.Michael,

One of the frustrating things about Internet forums is that people can say anything they want and do not have to substantiate it, in any way. Your assertion that the "3006 is well known for case seperation (sp)" is simply absurd. Case head separation is caused by a few potential factors, but the three primary reasons are; excessive headspace due to an improperly cut chamber, brass that has been shot quite a few times, thus being stretched and resized until the brass weakens, and powder charges that are too hot, resulting in too much pressure. The 30-'06 case, or rifles chambered for it, are no more prone to head separation from these factors than any other. As another poster pointed out, you see stuck case removers for the '06 because there are MORE OF THEM, than just about any other cartridge out there!

If you can provide a creditable source who documents why the '06 is more likely to suffer case head separation than any other round, I will eat my words and offer a most sincere apology. However, if you were just saying something you heard before, or making assumptions based on facts not in evidence, please consider more carefully what you put down in words. There are guys reading this forum who could easily be misled by your comment.

NewGun,

I'm really glad to hear the store got this issue fixed for you and that you now have the gun you wanted, no matter what cartridge it's in! :) After all of this, I certainly hope you enjoy shooting your gun and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post them here...we'll do what we can to help you out.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I have shot over 12,000 rounds of 30-06 ammo through some two dozen rifles from the mid-60s until last year I figure and NEVER have I had a so called case separation firing factory ammo or military FMJ ammo. I have handloaded some several thousand rounds of 30-06 ammo and still never had a case separation.

I have had once or twice a case separation in a .264 Win mag rifle firing reloads someone else made up, when I was a very young man. I learned my lesson that day, I don't shoot other peoples reloads. Also had a case separation in a 6mm Remington, the cause I suspect was the brass being old than I was told and fired many times......don't really know. I got rid of all that brass afterwards........All was well for decades after.;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I Kept the 22-250 and there was no brass in it because I never forced the ammo in the gun I just tried to put the bullet in and never pushed or anything like that it didn't go in so i took it out. I may be a noob but im not stupid and know when things don't fit. But thank you for your concern and yes I did got the proper ammunition for the 22-250 the store traded me the 30-06 bullets for some remington 22-250 bullets and yes I have shot high powered rifles before and many ohter guns i have just never been hunting. Thank everyone for all their help you are all very nice and very helpful ppl I have found a great site in shootersforum.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And yes my 22-250 has a scope and I also have a 30 30 with a scope meant to put that in my last post but forgot sorry.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yeah no sweat. We just weren't sure of you level of experience and safety comes first. I have seen a lot of new shooters bolt a scope onto a .30-06 or similar hard kicking gun and get their nose broke or eye socket smashed.

As you know, you'll have no such issues with the .22-250. They are fun to shoot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Newgun91,

I have a question: you mentioned that you are interested in becoming an avid hunter, what are you planning on hunting? I ask because depending what you plan on doing with it the 22-250 may not have been the ideal choice, the 30-06 may have been more versatile. If you are planning on doing some varmint hunting then the 22-250 is great, but in my opinion if you are planning on hunting something like deer in brushy woodland then to be honest with you your 30-30 is a better choice.

In any case its good to hear that you have gotten the correct ammunition for the rifle that you purchased.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
It ain't cartridge or caliber, its shot placement, we've hashed this a bunch of times.

The .22-250 is just fine for deer, as long as your state allows it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts