Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,761 Posts
Jim,

Marshall's "empty cylinder" suggestion brings back memories about the men having flinching problems with their first exposure to the M1 (showing my age) in basic. They would swear they weren't flinching, so we'd load the rifle for them, using an empty cartridge. I swear the barrel would jump 12", still remember the expression on their faces.

I've got two comments that I'm sure you're already familiar with. Over the years of benchrest load testing, I've been able to pretty much eliminate any flinching by 1) working  hard at concentrating on the sight picture and 2) have a trigger action that is smooth, crisp and not too heavy. With the aid of sandbags/etc., you have sufficient assistance on the sight picture that you will begin to think about pulling the trigger -- sometimes even wondering, "when is this darn thing going off". A good trigger action has always helped me keep my concentration on the sight picture and a squeeze rather than jerk is more likely. Also, if I'm concentrating on the sight picture, the felt recoil sure seems to be less.

I'm afraid that all sounds like cheap advice, kinda like my calculus prof that always told me, "it's easy".  He lied, I'm not. :)

Dan

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,761 Posts
Old Jim,

I left out the best way I found to improve my target groups --- shoot 3 shot groups. If you are ever in a situation where you need to know the accuracy of the 4th/5th shot, you'll probably in more trouble than you'll survive anyway.

Any yes, the logical extention of that suggestion is one shot groups, which sounds better as I get older.

Dan

<!--EDIT|DOK|April 21 2002,18:43-->

1 - 2 of 2 Posts