Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping somebody has a can of this sitting around. I'm only trying to find out if your 4831 SC looks like this one (is said to be).
Specifically, the angular cuts on the big grains and the few half size grains seen at 9:00.
It would be helpful to have a picture of the can the powder came from, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I use a lot of 4831SC and I have never seen that. Mine is all clean cut and pretty close to right angles. Your sample looks like someone tried to make 4831SC with a pair of scissors. Very odd. Have you loaded any, and what were the results?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,161 Posts
Here's mine

I think you got a can of uhm, er, uh, something that's not H4831sc.

RJ

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! This powder seems to have 'additions' I haven't IDed yet. There is a difference in density and the small grains end up on the bottom of a container. The hot needle test says the small grains are smokeless powder and not roach droppings or fly parts. I've got cans or partial cans of 31 powders that don't match it.

·
11,161 Posts
What's your container look like?

RJ

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The container looks like a .300WSM cartridge that was ready to shoot next but the gun blew up. There's already a thread on it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've got a can of it and 7828 SSC. I'll look later and see what it looks like.

·
11,161 Posts
7828 and 4831 are in the same burn rate as other slow, large capacity case fillers that are used in "magnum" cartridges.

A picture of 7828 ssc would be interesting to see.

RJ

·
11,161 Posts
I'd also be very interested to see what that container and powder looks like as well because that's not H4831sc. It looks like my bench sweepings after a few spills of several different powders.

RJ

Reactions: jimboro and Darkker

·
The Shadow
7,888 Posts
Here's my 4831SC

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I was expecting. I either have a strange mix of powders....or found where 4831 goes to give birth. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
7MMRLC-- Thanks for that. The nominal measurements are very close. The odd angular ends and little 'tails' are very 'Noble-like' and very much like Norma MRP, which is a near stable-mate of Re22. The OP says he loads some Re22, but where did those mini kernels come from?
The powder was bought this past spring.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 8lb. 4831SC looks like Recoil Junkies and Darkkers. The sharply square cut extruded tubular kernels are uniform in size, and measure .046 X .065 in plus or minus a thou, are dark gray in color and shiny. There are no 'bits', flakes, dust, or balls. It seems clear you have found the makings of the bomb that did such terrible damage. Someone was careless...Twice. Or someone was criminally negligent. Perhaps those bench sweepings came from a yard sale?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have a couple more powders to look at but that Re22 was the one I remembered that had the odd grains.
I didn't take pictures of the other powders because they look just like the one's posted. I'll check back later.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Looked at RL22, RL17, RL10X, RL7 they all show allot of angle cuts on the kernels, the kernels getting smaller in diameter as the powder gets faster. None of them had the sever angle cuts as some of the kernels in the original picture. If someone were to mix RL22 or RL17 with RL10X or RL7 it would look similar to the picture except for the really angular kernels. I would suspect that either it was a mix of sweepings or something more sinister since it appears to be a mix of more than two powders.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts