Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6.5 jap carbine and am having an issue getting it to shoot accurately, it has been quite a while since I worked up any loads for it, last time I put some rounds through I got groups around two inches at 100 yds but had issue with flyers. I worked up my recent load with 120 gr Sierra hollow point boat tails with 38 gr of BLC2 powder, Norma cases, winchester primer, had an issue with flyers again so I seated bullet out father to 2.290 oal, flyers went away, bullets impacted inch and a half high of point of aim, one and three quarter inch groups. I ran out of ammo so I reloaded some more rounds using the same load and components, same oal, this time bullets impacted four inches lower, removed stock and found a high spot where stock was touching the barrel at the end of the fore end, also checked my scope and bases, everything looked good, if this does not solve problem could the scope itself be at fault, it's Bushnell sportsview, bought it about 35 years ago, it was mounted on another firearm before mounting it on the 6.5, any help or advise is appreciated, any way of checking the scope to see if it's the issue.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,134 Posts
A really quick and easy way to see if the "usual" failure is at play.
Put the gun in something stable(rest) and aim at a target with grids(like 1" X 1"). Then adjust the magnification up and down, back and forth. Watch to see if the POA changes with mag.

Per current Hodgdon data, your load is a full grain over max. If the powder is old and thus a quicker burning rate, that could be a REAL hot overload. FYI

Cheers

Reactions: Kosh75287

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A really quick and easy way to see if the "usual" failure is at play.
Put the gun in something stable(rest) and aim at a target with grids(like 1" X 1"). Then adjust the magnification up and down, back and forth. Watch to see if the POA changes with mag.

Per current Hodgdon data, your load is a full grain over max. If the powder is old and thus a quicker burning rate, that could be a REAL hot overload. FYI

Cheers
I have a bore sighter that has grids, yesterday I checked the scope but kept the scope at 4x and went back and forth, up and down and everything stayed the same, will try it using different magnification with the bore sighter unless you are saying that I have to shoot the rifle while doing this test. Can't remember where I got the loading data but 39 gr was listed as max, I have been watching a lot of vidoes on YouTube regarding the Type 38 Arisaka, even saw a torture test with some real hot loads that failed to blow it up, cases with my load look fine, easy ejection, however thanks for your concern.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,134 Posts
Can't remember where I got the loading data but 39 gr was listed as max
Which shows you how large normal lot variations are, and why this isn't a cut and paste affair. 😉

Remember pressure vessels(which a gun is) exponentially lose lifespan, when you begin over pressuring them. That rifle is no spring chicken to begin with. I'd rather read reports of your latest Target outing, and not another report of someone who thought they did what they always did; and ended up sending the bolt back through their face.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts