Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just got my first borescope and need a little help with what I'm looking at. I know, F.N.G. gets a borescope and doesn't know what he's looking at. Sorry. This is the barrel of an AK-47. It's chrome lined, got it 4 months ago, and have put about 350 rounds through it. The question I have is....is this rust or is it fouling from the bullets? I'm leaning towards fouling but have a touch of OCD and really need to know for sure.
If it is rust, how do I get it out? Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
15,427 Posts
Locate a similar place you can for sure find again, swab the area with strong copper removing solvent, wait an hour, wipe and look at it again. If the dark pattern is gone or partially gone, you know its copper. If it doesn't change, swab the bore with an old bore brush that's been wound with 000 steel wool with a little solvent added. Look again.

Welcome to the forum! What scope did you buy? Those are great pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Locate a similar place you can for sure find again, swab the area with strong copper removing solvent, wait an hour, wipe and look at it again. If the dark pattern is gone or partially gone, you know its copper. If it doesn't change, swab the bore with an old bore brush that's been wound with 000 steel wool with a little solvent added. Look again.

Welcome to the forum! What scope did you buy? Those are great pics.
That's the Teslong Borescope. Got it for 130$ on Amazon. Really is great. Thanks for the advice too!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks like my SKS bore before a good scrub with a brass bore brush and some solvent. I've been relegated to using crappy Wolf (Russian) ammo which craps up my bore like that!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,991 Posts
Run copper solvent through it, the answer should end up being pretty obvious, pretty quick.

Thanks for the tip on the borescope, been thinking of getting one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like my SKS bore before a good scrub with a brass bore brush and some solvent. I've been relegated to using crappy Wolf (Russian) ammo which craps up my bore like that!
Yeah, it's all Tula and Wolf for me too. Can't beat 35 cents a round vs 1$ a round for brass rounds. Not to mention my AK seems to cycle steel better anyway. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
791 Posts
A brass bore brush and any solvent will remove both ... wrap the bore brush with #0000 steel wool for added removal action ... be generous with solvent .
Need a GOOD solvent down load this recipe , mix it and use it -
www.majorsgunclub.org
click on "tips & tricks" page ...then click on Ed'd Red Bore Cleaner . There is also some tips /tricks on cleaning too .
Buy everything at wally mart for $20 and make a gallon !
Gary

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,369 Posts
No need to leave, Ed's recipie can be found here in multiple threads.
Such as this one, or in this one. The second one also has "Humpy's White" recipie.

Cheers

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use Sweet's 7.62. It removes all my copper and carbon residue! A bottle will last a lifetime. Less than $20.00

·
Registered
791 Posts
If any of you want to try Ed's Red Cleaner , you can put it in a Windex Spray bottle .
I have had some mixed , with acetone , in two Windex bottles for about 3 years now ...the plastic holds up . Use REAL Windex bottles ... the first spray bottle , it wasn't Windex , began to distort (melt) after a week ...don't use anything but brand name Windex bottle .
I clean reloading presses , dies , bullet sizers , lube dies and anything that gets greasy or oily or rusty with Ed's Red .
Gary

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello all. I just got my first borescope and need a little help with what I'm looking at. I know, F.N.G. gets a borescope and doesn't know what he's looking at. Sorry. This is the barrel of an AK-47. It's chrome lined, got it 4 months ago, and have put about 350 rounds through it. The question I have is....is this rust or is it fouling from the bullets? I'm leaning towards fouling but have a touch of OCD and really need to know for sure.
If it is rust, how do I get it out? Thanks all. View attachment 101415 View attachment 101416 View attachment 101418
Based on my experience with looking inside rifle bores, that looks like baked on hard carbon to me. You didn't indicate where in the barrel this stuff is located, but the areas 3-4 inches ahead of the chamber are most likely to build up hard carbon deposits due to the extreme heat and pressure from firing cartridges. But, it could be carbon on top of copper on top of carbon, and on and on. I have had good results from Bore Tech Eliminator and Bore Tech CU+2, but for the hardest carbon I've had to use JP Bore Paste on a patch wrapped around a bronze bore brush.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you just shooting Wolf and Tula in an AK47 you are wasting your time using a bore scope, just enjoy shooting it and clean it when your done. Unless it is a recent build with a U.S. barrel it has a chrome barrel and it is what it is-if you were truly concerned with accuracy or wear Tula and Wolf would never be considered- its cheap for a reason and hard on barrels. You can do as much damage over cleaning than by neglect-a good cleaner and moderate attention is all you need-if you don't get it all don't sweat it. Its kind of like putting lipstick on a pig-if you never cleaned it you probably still couldn't see any difference in accuracy or bore life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update for all you helpful folks. Got what ever it was out. Prob was rust, see a little pit in one of the pictures. After a little time and elbow grease I realized how hard it was going to be lol. So, seeing as it's chrome lined I just let some CLR patches sit in there and it worked like a charm. I figured screw it, it's an AK it'll shoot no matter what anyway. Ready for the judgement, but it's only crazy if it doesn't work lol.
AK Post CLR 1.JPG
AK Post CLR 2.JPG

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,369 Posts
That looks a bit like the chrome lining is flaking off.

Reactions: jimboro
1 - 17 of 17 Posts