Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I bought a Savage Mark II B .22 LR from Gander Mountain about a year back and was lucky enough to get a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 scope for xmas. They also came recommended with rings that are matte black Weaver quad lock 1" .22 tip off (4 aluminium straps fits upto 36mm obj lens for firearms with 3/8" grooved receivers). My rifle has holes for a mount and not a groove. I went to Gander Mountain today and asked what I should get for mounts and they told me the Weaver #16 top mount base. Which I got. BUT, the base fits on nicely, but the rings fittings aren't wide enough for this mount.Is it my rings or my mounts or both? I'm just trying to find the right combination to mount my scope and have scoured the net looking for an answer but can't find one. Hoping posting here to the experts can shed some light on what I might need? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
It's your rings. You need rings that are made for a Weaver base. Some rings are made for the grooved receiver and some are made for a very narrow base. A higher end/quality rimfire is usually drilled and tapped for a Weaver style base which takes wider rings. Sounds like your rings are made for a narrow base. Take the rings back and explain to the salesman that you have a Weaver base and need 1" rings that will fit the Weaver base.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks nsb! Getting closer! I went and got some rings with a wider base quad lock aircraft aluminum 1" medium 49046. It fit the mounts however my scope hits the rear sight! I'm assuming I need taller rings? Or different higher mounts? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Thanks nsb! Getting closer! I went and got some rings with a wider base quad lock aircraft aluminum 1" medium 49046. It fit the mounts however my scope hits the rear sight! I'm assuming I need taller rings? Or different higher mounts? Thanks!
If you're comfortable with the height of the scope as you look through it (cheek down on stock and not twisting head to see through it) then just take the rear sight off the gun and put it away somewhere where you won't lose it. If you feel like you'd be able to see better with higher rings, get a set of higher rings. Rings come in different heights. If you get them too low, the front lens will hit the barrel and you won't be able to mount the scope. If they are too high you might not be able to get your cheek down on the stock. Hitting the rear sight isn't a problem with a scope, you aren't using it anyway. It comes off very easily and goes back on just as easy. Medium height are probably just about right for most people. Just take the rear sight off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts