Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new savage rifle in 22-250 cal....Never fired...1 in 9 twist.heavy barrel varment rifle..I have lots of brass and decided to reload my own ammo for it instead of buying off the shelf..So can anyone tell me of a good bullet to start with...For right now I just want to load some for sight in and maybe a litle target shooting if the weather ever warms up again here in Pennsylvania...I have varget-H380- and a few other powders here on hand...
Some i am asking what weight bullet some of you guys may be using in your rifles...Thanks for any advice you have to offer....John:eek:

·
Banned
490 Posts
I shoot my .22/250 a lot and have been very happy with the Remington 55 grain Power Lokt hollow point bullet purchased in bulk from Midway. It is inexpensive when bought by the 500 or 1000 and shoots into a half inch from my rifle. Lots of other bullets such as B-Tips and V-Max and way too many others to mention are available.

It's hard to find a bad .224 bullet for use in the .22/250. I prefer the 55 grain bullets because they can be given a good start in the .22/250 and they hold up better at long range and buck the wind a tad better than lighter bullets. Lots of people like lighter bullets too, and I have no argument with them. If you are going to shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds each year at prairie dogs, bulk purchases of bullets are the way to go. If you are just going to bust a few woodchucks or predators, or shoot groups on the range, then those itty bitty boxes of 100 bullets make more sense.

Your 1/9 twist will work with bullets from 40 grains to 69 grains or more. For extreme range target shooting, the heavier bullets would be preferable. I have used quite a few 68 or 69 gr. BTHP Match bullets in my 1/9 AR's with good results. They handle 40 gr. V-Max bullets equally well, so bullet weight is not a critical issue in a 1/9. For varminting I would stick with a 55 gr. bullet. Stay away from the S-X (super explosive) type bullets that are intended for lighter rounds such as the .222. They can come apart at high speeds in a fast twist.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Agree with WHB on the Remington bulk pack. Also, Speer HP's are pretty darn'd good .224 bullets - as least my Ruger M77 V/T likes them a lot! With the 1:9 twist rate, the 50 to 60 gr weights should perform well.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have experimented with weights from 40 grains to 60, and I keep coming back to the 55 grain bullets as being the "best all around" for my uses. Nosler Ballistic Tips actually. YMMV of course, but they do more things well than any others I have tried in my guns.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I have a Savage FVSS-S and it LOVES H380 and the 52 grain Speer HP [not the TNT]. From 38-40 grains gives me .5" groups or less and often puts them all in one ragged hole. The same powder also works well with Sierra 52-55 grain HP bullets.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am sold on Hornady A-Max for target and V-Max for critters with the SST for big stuff. Always been consistant for me with very good accuracy.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Ballistic Tips have been very accurate for me. You can get some startling velocities out of the 40gr. version in the .22-250!!!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
For target shooting with a 1 in 9 twist any of the 68-69 grain match bullets should work. The 22/250 generally has a slower twist so I think your barrel was made for heavier bullets.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greetings,

Your rifle will likely have a preference, which can only be determined by experimentation. Among our little group of varminters, most of us shoot the Sierra Blitzking (not the Blitz...different bullet). We are shooting it in the .223, .22-250, and the .220 Swift. Those with the 250s really like the 55gr version, I shoot the 50gr in the Swift.

We all experimented independently, and still came up with this particular bullet. While it is very consistent, and provides impressive terminal ballistics, a primary concern of ours was ricochets. Most bullets bounce off the ground where we shoot, with an audible whine. We simply don't get that with the BKs. There is irrigation infrastructure in the area, and we are friends with the farmers (and want to keep it that way). This bullet seems to break up readily when it hits anything solid. We have shot thousands of them. It is designed to handle the higher velocities we have in the 250 and the Swift. I have met a Sierra ballistician involved in its design, and he was not surprised by my observations.

In terms of accuracy, the V-max, Ballistic tip, and Speer 52gr hp have all performed very well. None of us had great results with the TNT, however. I really like the Speer 52gr HP. I call it the "flying shot glass" because of its gaping hollow point. It's a real hammer on jackrabbits. But, it occasionally bounces, and so I don't use it near the alfalfa pivots.

Savage is doing something very right with their barrels. I don't know if it is the locking ring, rifling, or what, but I have seen some remarkable groups, and consistent performance, from several Savage rifles. The two I have, (110FP in .308, and 12BVSS in .223) both shoot 0.5" groups, regularly, with my handloads.

Enjoy the honeymoon with the new rifle...Find out what she likes to eat, feed her well, and she will treat you right.

Regards,
Schuter

·
Registered
79 Posts
+1 to what Schuter said,

If ricochets are not a problem the 52gr Amax seems to do pretty well, and the 68gr BTHP as well. That being said, Sierra has always been one of my primary bullets, and likely will remain so. But Hornady does have some really good bullets, depending on what the job requirements are.

Good Shooting,
Gary

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
......as a varmint bullet the 52 Grain Sierra BTHP Benchrest is the best I have found, and accuracy is legendary!!! I actually won a Grand Aggregate (100, 200, 300, yard) Benchrest Match with that bullet, and,I was competing against bullets that were hand made for that purpose. I dont think you can find any better in a store bought bullet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all your replys and have to get busy loading up some ...if this darn cold weather ever decides to go warm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts