Shooters Forum banner

help with bullet

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MikeG 
#1 ·
Iam having keeping deer down with my 4570 , Iam useing a hornady 300 gr. h.p. with 43.0 gr. IMR 3031 . Acceracry is good but just blow through them hav'nt lost any but have to chase a while. fps. is about 1400 is this to slow to open up a hollow point? Any info would be great help. rickster4570

#2 ·
Rick, how far are they running? A hundred yards with heart & lungs blown up with .270/.30-06/etc isn't unheard of. What does the wound channel look like - lots of damage or just poking a hole through them?

#4 ·
Rick,
Are you loading with black powder? If not you should be able to acheive much higher velocities without exceeding "trapdoor" pressures. It sounds like your velocity is a bit low. If you want to use black powder perhaps the best projectile is a cast bullet. IDShooter

PS- I once used a muzzleloader to shoot a doe that ran about 200 yards after being hit. When I found her, the whole top of her heart was torn up and the aorta was actually dangling out the front of her chest. They can go a LONG way after being well hit!

#5 ·
Bullet Help

Rick, I have the same exact gun you have and shoot black powder loads in it. Like IDshooter said you might try cast bullets in it. I shoot a 405gr hollow base flat nose (lee mould) on top of 67grs of Pyrodex RS. I cut cardboard wads out of a shoebox using a cutdown 45/70 case (drilled out the primer hole so could push them out). Using a 30in drop tube, push my cardboard wad down with a short wooden dowel, seat bullet to crimp ring and use a light crimp. Took a nice white tail, about 90yds, he never knew what happen. Total distance from shot to deer was about 93yds. If your not familar with b/p or Pyrodex, it is measured in volume not weight. I use my measure from my b/p rifle. I had to order the mould direct from Lee, cause it dint show in any catalog that I have.
Hope this helps a little

Gun Runner

#6 ·
If you want to stick with jacketed, I'd try the 405 gr. Speer. These have a very soft core, and the nose is wide enough that you should get a good wound channel, even if there is no expansion.

Last deer I shot was with a cast bullet in a .44 Mag. Got one lung, the liver, & it ran all of 30-35 yards. You never know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.