Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the dimensions for the LBT ogival wadcutters. Specifically, I'm interested in the 150 grain .357 caliber but any measurements would be helpful. I'm looking for the bullet diameter, meplat diameter, length of the ogive from the nose to where the curve starts, and distance from nose to crimp groove.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Diameter is whatever you size it to, or specify if shooting as-cast.

Meplat is as-cast major diameter, minus .032" (1/32"). Ogive length is not specified, but would be less than 3/16". Nose to crimp is also not specified. This is. no doubt, since the bullet is so short anyway there would never be a conflict in any revolver. Judging by the drawing in the LBT brochure, the nose-crimp lenght is about 45-45% of the bullet total length, and a 148-150 gr. plain base wadcutter will be from .570-.590" long. That would make the nose-crimp length from about .230-.270"

Unless you have the mould you are not likely to get one for a while as Veral Smith (LBT) is not currently in production. I have heard from a good source in the industry that he expects to be back in business by April, but that isn't a certaib thing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I made some calculations based on measurements made from the graphic in Veral's catalog but I was hoping to get some actual measurements from someone who had a mould. With some reasonable measurements I can have one of the custom mould makers turn one out. I'm sure anything reasonably close to Veral's design will work just fine.
I just wanted the diameter from a measured bullet so I could relate it to the meplat diameter.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I wish I could say I had the exact mould you are interested in, but I don't think this was one of Veral's most popular items. What I can help with is the length it would need to be. Actual measurement of a couple of wadcutters I have are:

Lyman 35891 cast is wheelweight is .589" long and weighs 148.3 gr. It has a small button nose which removes about the same as the LBT ogival wadcutter does from a cylindrical bullet of the same length.

Lyman 358432 (there are two versions of this, 148 & 158 gr.) which is cast in 91% Pb, 6% Sb, and 3% Sn. This bullet in the specified alloy is .642 long and weighs 157.2 gr. It also has a button nose and a short bore-ride of .120 long x .348.

All of Veral's bullets were cut with a full diameter front band unless a bore-ride nose was requested.

If you have someone cut you a mould with a slightly radiused ogive to a meplat .3265 and the ogive 1/8" long, with a crimp groove centered and an overall length of .600 you will have a bullet so close to what Veral did that I doubt anyone will know the difference. The .600 will give a bullet close enough that if a specific weight is desired it can be gotten by adjusting the alloy.

If you check the weights listed in Veral's brochure for the ogival WC. you will see that they all have about the same sectional density which means all different calibers would be the same length. I believe he did these with a contoured boring bar, not the tracer lathe he used for the others. That way diameter is the only variable and all calibers could be cut with the same tool.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the dimensions I got from a kind soul on another forum. The nose to crimp groove and ogive length are the same for any of the calibers. The meplat diameter is always approximately .040 inches smaller than the bullet diameter.

These dimensions are taken from an actual bullet:
.38 Ogival Wadcutter 152 grains
Bullet diameter .3604
Diameter at front driving band .3598
Meplat diameter .320
Ogive length .145
Crimp groove .290
Overall length .570

Here are the dimensions I got from measuring the illustration in the LBT catalog- surprisingly close to the real deal.
Bullet diameter .405
Meplat diameter .357
Ogive length .152
Crimp groove .298

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anybody have one of these molds they are willing to sell? If not that, does anybody want to sell me some of their bullets cast from this mold? I am really interested in doing some experimentation with this bullet, which I think has lots of potential as a defensive and hunting bullet for the .38/.357...

Let me know if you can help out!

Det. Wayne Dobbs (Retired)
Richardson, TX PD

·
Registered
1 Posts
To Wayne Dobbs:

If you have trouble hooking up with anyone in your area, there is a fellow here is NE Ohio that offers a fairly wide selection of LBT designs. The 150 OWC is one of them. He will match the hardness of the alloy to your application. I needed some for a match where my intended velocity was around 750 to 800 fps. He gave me some that were cast of a softer alloy than his standard. He will size them to your requirements as well. The lube he uses is LBT Blue. The bullets are first rate and so is his service. He does a fair amount of business shipping bullets in the Northeastern US, but I know he will ship anywhere in the country. The contact info is:

TNT Bulletworks
274 Elm Street
Geneva, Ohio 44041
440-466-4991

The fellow who is TNT is named Bob Allen. It is a one man operation.

For those of you that shoot .41 Mags, his 250 WLN and 275 WLN are crackerjack bullets. They are very accurate in at least one Ruger Blackhawk. His .452-300-OWC is also very accurate. The latter bullet he refers to as a flying beer keg. And that is pretty much what it looks like.

I hope this helps.

Nathan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wayne
Give Dan at Mountain Molds a try. He can cut Ya a mold to the dimensions Ya call for. He should be able to duplicate an LBT design exactly.
Mountain Molds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts