Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me? I have a Winchester .22 rifle that I have recently purchased a scope for. If I zero in my scope to 25 yards, can someone explain to me what adjustments I will have to make to hit targets at different distances such as 10, 15, 20, 30, and 40 yards? If it helps, my scope adjustment knobs are 1/4 MOA per click. I am simply looking for instruction on what adjustments need to be made (when i say adjustments, i mean "how many clicks do I need to adjust elevation to hit a target at say 15 yards if I want to keep my scope's 25 yard zero"). Thank you in advance, i really need to figure this out.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Well, typically, with a standard scope I would not adjust the scope for those different ranges. First of all with those distances I doubt you will see too much difference in point of impact. If you do, learn where your shot hit with the 25 yard zero and compensate for it when you shoot. 10 yards? Really? That is reaaaaaaly close; it's bow range not rifle range.

There are scopes intended for long range shooting (well beyond 300 yards) that do provide an easy way to adjust for different ranges in the filed but this is not really what you are doing. Not meaning to sound harsh but I really see no point in making scope adjustments to the point of impact for the ranges you are talking about here.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Fiddy Cal,

Welcome to ShootersForum! Rules are simple, be nice and join in. :)

As stated above, very few folks would consider adjusting their scope for use on rimfire cartridges like the 22LR. I would suggest that you zero your gun a little further out, as CVC has done, to get a better maximum point-blank range. With this cartridge, it is almost laser-flat for as far out there as it has energy to harvest small game. If you are shooting competition at different ranges, out to 100 yards or so, you can usually determine how much to hold over and not fiddle around with your scope, during the match. Most 22 matches are at known, static distances, from what I've seen, so you can just sight in for that range.

Is there a particular reason you're wanting to adjust your scope?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, im kinda new at this but i am trying to, more or less, play the part of exterminator in the area of squirrels and groundhogs. I have two different guns: a .22 long rifle and a regular .22 rifle. I will put the scope on one or the other to get the groundhogs which reside across my creek about 25 yards out. the other one will be used with open sights to get the closer squirrels which like to steal birdseed (they pass by at about 5-10 yards. The only reason that i am asking is because i want to kill the squirrels with one shot to the head, and simply do not like to keep switching to the open sighted gun. I just wanted to know if i could use the gun zeroed in at 25 yds to accurately hit them in the head (with or without adjusting the scope. My MAIN question is will i be able to ACCURATELY hit a varmint in the head with my scoped rifle if said scoped rifle is zeroed in to 25 yds. And if it is zeroed in to 25yds, how far can i shoot with good accuracy? Thank you to all who answered my question, i greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And just for the record, im using CB .22 short cartriges for both of the guns; i live in a neighborhood and do not want that obvious BANG. It echoes around all the houses and is a bit too loud; parents would get mad that someone is shooting a firearm ;)

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you sight in for 20 yards with typical 22 ammo (ie standard or subsonic velocity) you will be witin a 1/2" out to 60 yards. At closer distances you are going to hit a little low due to the fact the scope is mounted up over the barrel. How much you will be low will depend on how high the scope is mounted but typically on those closer shots you should be able to hold right on the top edge of a squirrels head and hit your mark unless the scope is mounted really high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.